Whee! My first ABT's!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thebarbequeen

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Renton, WA
Late notice party invite=excuse to try my first abt's!  The teenage son had just finished all the milk, so I tried soaking them in a big bowl of cold water with a few tablespoons of sugar dissolved in it, just going out on a limb, since sugar is the other "antidote" when you eat a hot one.  Didn't get any complaints about too much heat, so it either helped some or at least didn't hurt any. I had about 16-18 peppers, halved them right down the stem. The small end of my melon baller worked perfectly at getting out the seed and veins. They soaked a couple hours, and I changed the water once. 

65d7f949_100909_1111.jpg

The filling:  8 oz. cream cheese, 2-3 pressed garlic cloves, 4 minced green onions, 1/2 tsp Old Bay (I use that stuff in practically everything!), generous 1/2 tsp each ground cumin and paprika, dash of Adobo lemon pepper, about 1/4 tsp. worchestershire - mixed that up, then added about 6 oz grated cheddar.

The cumin and paprika gave it just a bit of Mexican flavor, without being obviously taco-like. They also gave it a really nice color. I let it rest to develop flavor, 1-2 hours.  After stuffing, each got a sliver of really good andouille from my butcher shop.  I didn't pipe the stuffing in, just pressed it in with my little offset spatula.  It's one of my very favorite tools.

e26de6c1_100909_1112.jpg

did a 1/2 slice bacon wrap.  most of them held ok.

f29b45f8_100909_1113.jpg

After I got them all wrapped, I used a small sieve and sprinkled just a dusting of brown sugar over the tops.

Put them in the CSE, set to 250, not preheated. About 1-1/2 oz. chips apple? alder? my bad-forgot to note.

They were done in about one hour and ten minutes.

d5a706b0_100909_1114.jpg

They were a success, of course!  People loved the layers of flavor that the spice mixture brought in.  They had to be transported, so they went into a foil pan and got reheated in the oven at the party. No texture issues on the bacon.

can't wait for my next exuse to make some!   thanks for looking!

Reactions: meateater
Those look mighty tasty. Congrats on your first ones.

icon_cool.gif

Now you have done a fantastic job on your first try at the Abt's they look wonderful.

Awesome.

Did you actually split the stems as well?

Well done.

yep, right down the middle.  I wanted to leave the halves as intact as I could, so the cheese wouldn't be tempted to sneak out the end, and to provide people with a way to pick them up. 

Great job and the split stems is the perfect touch

Congrats on what will be a common practice in your home.ABT's are always a welcome treat. It's all good my friend.

yep, right down the middle.  I wanted to leave the halves as intact as I could, so the cheese wouldn't be tempted to sneak out the end, and to provide people with a way to pick them up. 

That is awesome, I try to leave them stems but you need really fresh peps for that.

They must have been pretty fresh, I bought a bunch this weekend and the stems were starting to dry out.

I stopped at a market called Vallarta yesterday looking for some pork bellies (they were out) and they had japs on sale 2# for $1 so I grabbed me a bag and hope to do some ABT's this week

I stopped at a market called Vallarta yesterday looking for some pork bellies (they were out) and they had japs on sale 2# for $1 so I grabbed me a bag and hope to do some ABT's this week
mmmmmmmm. pork bellies...another item on my to do soon list 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky