Whats your favorit scotch, rye, whisky or burbon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

canadianbacon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
Whats your favorit brand? i decided to pick up a bottle of johnie walker double black. Its greatt

Scotch -  tried a BenRiach Dark Rum finish and Madeira finish that were both excellent, Laphroaig special edition was excellent but only for real men that like that peaty and smokey finish Balvenie is good.  I tend to stick with single malts.

Favorite Bourbon is Bookers....

For a good cheap bottle, White Horse has never let me down. It's made by Lagavulin and is one of the best blended whiskies I've ever had. And it's right around $20 for the 1.75l bottle. If I'm celebrating or happen to be rather flush at any given moment,  Aberlour A'bunadh is a nice treat.

And for a little trivia, the Gaelic word for whisky, Uisge Beatha, literally translated means "Water of Life". Those folks take their whisky seriously!

Last edited:
I was hoping to get me a bottle of Macallan Imperiale "M",  LOL, or maybe a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20-year-old bourbon, if I can't find the Macallan. 

Seriously for a flavored Bourbon ( which I never thought I'd like) the Jim Beam Red Stag Black Cherry  is my go to for shots these days.

Last edited:
I"m a bourbon guy but also dabble in scotch.

Bourbon - Bulliet Regular or Rye

Scotch - Aberlour

Holiday Treat - Jim Beam's Hard Cider was very good. Very good taste which is dangerous given the percentage of alcohol haha

Bourbon-

Elijah Craig

Woodford Reserve

Angel's Envy

I live in Cincinnati, right across the OH river from Kentucky.  Bourbon country around here!

Scotch-Laphroaig

Glenmorangie

Balvenie Double Wood

not necessarily in that order

and for the cheap Famous Grouse

Bourbon-Blanton's (favorite)

Woodford Reserve

Basil Hayden

Eagle Rare

Elijah Craig

Rye- r1 is really the only one I have liked so far but have not tried that many

Really want to try the Angel's Envy but can't find it around here

Scotch 
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
How can you drink that stuff.

Whisky.......lately either Wiser's Deluxe or FIREBALL

I have a buddy with Hispanic ancestry who I figured would be into Anejo tequilas like me.  Nope, he's a scotch drinker and he's done his best to get me to explore scotches like I have tequilas.  I've tried several like Glenlivet 12 (unremarkable and a little too peaty for me), Glenfiddich 12 (yummy), and Glenmorangie Original 10 (my favorite).  I even had the opportunity recently to taste a Highland Park 18 when one of my daughters received a bottle as an engagement present.  My scotch palate is not developed enough to appreciate the pricey HP 18. Hers isn't either but they are enjoying it properly neat or on the rocks. 

If given the choice between a bourbon or scotch, I'd take the bourbon first, then chase it with the scotch!  

Crown Royal is my go to whiskey....

But, my dad makes some KILLER whiskey and it's perfectly legal...

He has access to white oak barrels that are 4.6 gallons in size and are pre-burned on the inside.  A friend of his owns a winery and they age wine in the barrels.\

So, the old man gets one of these barrels about once a month and does the following:

2 gallons of everclear

2 gallons of water

pour into barrel

insert bung

roll around and shake a lot

Store in a cool place for at least 2 years and rotate 180 degrees each month

GOOD STUFF!!!  As of last weekend he had 11 barrels in the barn aging...  I asked if he could leave them to me in the will!

Charlie

Scotch: I like Dalwhinnie 15 year old, and Springbank 15 yr.

Bourbon: Maker's Mark is my go-to, but I also like Blanton's, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek.

Rye: The best I've tried is Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof. So smooth, you'd never know.  Old Tahoe is pretty good, too.

Last edited:
"purification through bourbon"

Bourbon is the magic elixir...
Makers Mark (proud card carrying ambassador)
Bookers
Woodford
X2 on the Buffalo trace, very smooth for the money and one of oldest distilleries in America.

Below is a picture of one of my Christmas presents.  Here's the backstory.

Just before Christmas my wife and I were grocery shopping and I turned down the booze isle just to see what was on sale.  I like to pick up Irish Creams for coffee but only when they are cheap.  My wife starts saying "Honey, we don't need any more alcohol.  We're not drinking what we have and you know you're probably going to get a bottle of Makers for Christmas from your team.  Come on, let's go check out and......" She stopped talking the instant she spied the sweatered bottle of Makers.  She reached out, grabbed it off the shelf, handed it to me and said "That's so CUTE!!!!  Buy this!!"

I smiled all the way to the register.

Last edited:

Scotch 
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
How can you drink that stuff.

Whisky.......lately either Wiser's Deluxe or FIREBALL
LOL scotch have never mixed well with me, my wife is making Fireball Jello Cup Cakes tonight

Fireball Jello Shot Cupcakes
Yield: 30 jello shots
Ingredients:
for the fireball jello shots:

1-1/3 cup ginger ale...
2 envelopes plain gelatin
2/3 cup Fireball whisky
Few drops red food coloring

for the fireball buttercream:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp Fireball whisky
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
Pinch of salt

Directions:
for the fireball jello shots:

Lightly spray mold with non-stick spray and wipe excess off with a paper towel.

Pour the ginger ale into a medium saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin on top. Allow the gelatin to soak for 2-3 minutes, then begin to heat on low, stirring constantly until gelatin is fully dissolved (about 5 minutes).

Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the whisky and a few drops of red food coloring. Pour into molds and chill for several hours, or until set.

for the fireball buttercream:

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Reduce the speed and add the whisky, powdered sugar, and salt. Increase the speed back to medium-high and mix until creamy and smooth. Transfer frosting to a piping bag and decorate each jello shot with a swirl, adding sprinkles if desired. Store jello shots in the fridge until ready to serve.

Buttercream recipe adapted from The Dollop Book of FrostingSee More

I just bought a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 yr because it came with free whisky stones and its pretty good stuff. Sipping it right now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky