Whats your favorit scotch, rye, whisky or burbon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've had more than my share of Chivas, with just a touch of water.

Nowadays, I limit my intake to a couple of shots of just about any flavor of Ivanabitch Vodka, that is deep freeze cold. It's cheap, but it's good. I know, I turned into a sissy!

And, after many years, I'm still in pursuit of the perfect margarita. I'm not taking anyone's word for it; I'm gonna find out on my own!

Not a big drinker but on occasion I do enjoy the smooth taste of The Glenlivet 18 yr old. It is real pricey, but I don't need much. Put it on the rocks on a cold day and it will warm the soul and relax the mind. Only have it a few times a year but I ALWAYS know what I'm going for when it's that time.

Not a big drinker but on occasion I do enjoy the smooth taste of The Glenlivet 18 yr old. It is real pricey, but I don't need much. Put it on the rocks on a cold day and it will warm the soul and relax the mind. Only have it a few times a year but I ALWAYS know what I'm going for when it's that time.
My ol' man told me "Always buy the expensive stuff.  You'll drink less and enjoy it more."  He was right, but I still look for bargains on the pricey stuff.

Reactions: smoke signal
Parties with my family have always been a war between Jack and Crown (ironically it's the only kind of war where both sides always win!). My brother is a big crown fan and I am and JD single barrell guy, but in the end we drink whichever the other is pouring; no complaints allowed!

Lately we have also been enjoying the Angels Envy and the new Crown Royal XO (not to be confused with the XR). The angels envy burns a bit on the way down, but the flavors imparted from being aged up to 6 years in charred white oak barrels and finished in ruby port wine casks is awesome. The Crown XO is a smoother, more shot-worthycrink than the original. It's worth the try if you can find it.

And I can't believe how good buffalo trace is for the price......
Crown XO shouldn't be mistaken with crown cask 16 since that what it replaced.

Thanks speaks. Yes that is what xo replaced. There was some talk on another thread about crown XR, and i didn't want folks to get the two confused.

Last edited:
Tried the Beam signature series 12 yo . For the stupor bowl Damn fine bourbon.

Jim Beam Black Label 8yr old. I would put That up next to any of those twice ++ pricey Bourbons. Of course W.L. Weller- w/2 cubes is also nice. Oh Yeah, BlackBush.

My Grandpa said, "Bourbon is like Ice Cream, there's good and there's better.

My Grandma said, "Ice Cream is like Bourbon, there's good and there's better.

they both got along well.

And Grandma taught me "Life is to short for a bad cup of Coffee. If you don't smell it when you walk into a place-it might not be good.

Bob

Last edited:
Scotch was my drink of choice many years ago, but I kind of drifted away from spirits and went more into the wine direction. That said, a prime vendor of mine gave me a bottle of Macallan 30 year old this past Christmas, and oddly enough, another gave me a bottle of Talisker 18 year old. They're both outstanding in their own way, and comparing them to precious metals, one's like platinum, and the other is like gold. I think I'm back on the train.

Bourbon....Woodford reserve when the ducats are readily available. Buffalo Trace or Devils Cut when budgeting.

whisky....redbreast

Scotch....not for me. I was gifted with a bottle of Johnny Gold a couple years ago....turpentine to my unrefined taste buds.

My wife bought me a "whisky glass" and a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta scotch for Valentine's Day.  See picture below.  She was telling me things about drinking whisky she'd learned from the guy at the liquor store I'd never heard before.  The guy recommended I look online to see how to use the glass to best enjoy the whisky.  I smiled and thought "no way can a glass make that much difference."  I was wrong.  I haven't opened the bottle of Lasanta yet but I tasted flavors in the Glenmorangie Original, Van Winkle Special Reserve, and Makers Mark I'd never tasted before.  I've also never added water to whisky before but adding just a tiny bit made a favorably noticeable difference in aroma and taste, not huge but noticeable.

Glenmorangie is Gaelic for "Glen of Tranquility."  Good name.  After playing with the glass last evening, I was quite tranquil.

Last edited:
Dang fine woman ya got there partner. I do have a couple whisky stones, and a glass somewhere as well, but normally my "glass" tends to look more like this....
As far as your choice of drinks....may I recommend Redbreast. A fine, fine Irish Whisky. Your glass will thank you.

Dang fine woman ya got there partner. I do have a couple whisky stones, and a glass somewhere as well, but normally my "glass" tends to look more like this....
As far as your choice of drinks....may I recommend Redbreast. A fine, fine Irish Whisky. Your glass will thank you.
Thanks for the complement for my wife!  After reading about Redbreast the 12 year just jumped on my shopping list!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky