• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What's the real TEXAS rub ?

zaamy

Joined Apr 5, 2020
hello smokers,
i need your help, i'm looking for the real texan rub recipe (for brisket). Here in France the BBQ is often a fashion and the texas is often used as symbol of the American BBQ for the brisquet. Many recipes are available on youtube etc.
But as we say here it is better to ask god than his saints.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
LOL! There are many variations of Texas Rubs. To find the original would be near impossible. I'm sure several members will be along to offer you some suggestions of their versions or help you find others.

The French could uses some Good Old Fashioned Texas BBQ!

Sock it to them my friend!

Good luck,

John

bill ace 350

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 28, 2013
When I lived in Central and West Texas, my rancher friends used salt and pepper.
Awesome brisket.

Don't know if there is "real" one.

Buttah Butts

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 22, 2019
Don’t know for sure but most of the Texas brisket I’ve had and made was done with just salt and pepper.

Humo18

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 7, 2018
I used to live in south Texas and had a buddy born and raised in west Texas that made absolutely the BEST brisket I ever tasted. He used quite a lot of his rub.
I don't know if this is the "REAL" Texas rub but his recipe:
1/4 cup of KOSHER salt
1/4 cup of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic powder (not the real thin fine stuff)
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder

Use your imagination and come up with your own variation of the salt and pepper rub and after a few trials, just stick to what you like the best. Make your own "Texfrench" rub!:emoji_sunglasses:

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
I used to live in south Texas and had a buddy born and raised in west Texas that made absolutely the BEST brisket I ever tasted. He used quite a lot of his rub.
I don't know if this is the "REAL" Texas rub but his recipe:
1/4 cup of KOSHER salt
1/4 cup of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic powder (not the real thin fine stuff)
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder

Use your imagination and come up with your own variation of the salt and pepper rub and after a few trials, just stick to what you like the best. Make your own "Texfrench" rub!:emoji_sunglasses:
This is the ingredients that I follow, each amount can be adjusted for personal taste. hard to go wrong with simple stuff that can be bought any where imo

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Agree with above traditional is coarse salt and pepper. A little add of garlic and onion isn’t uncommon. I’ve been using salt, pepper , onion , garlic and Accent.

zaamy

Joined Apr 5, 2020
hello all, thanks for your answers.
This confirms what I thought. The basis of RUB Texan is really pepper. Everything else changes depending people.

I thank you all .
Soon I will send you pix of my reverse offset which I built with all your advice.

Humo18

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 7, 2018
OK Zaamy, have fun trying your own style of rub. I would start with just kosher salt and coarse grind black pepper. Checkout Aaron Franklin BBQ's (very famous) you tube video where he shows how he does it with just salt and pepper. Then you can start adding other spices to your rub until you find what YOU like.

Texas is a very large state (about 680,000 sq km) probably different regions (North, South, Central, etc.) BBQ differently

millerbuilds

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 13, 2013
50/50 Salt and Course Ground Black Pepper is the original Texas Rub and smoked using Oak.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Humo18

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 7, 2018
I like the P&S rub I just add a small amount of garlic and onion powder. Post Oak is the choice of smoke just wish that somebody made post oak pellets.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I’m not from Texas, but I’d have to say that course ground salt & pepper would be the original Texas rub.

Humo18

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 7, 2018
SmokinAl, check several of your recipes and I have to say you are quite a chef. Incredible pictures and explanations, THANKS!!!

Polekitty

Joined Sep 22, 2020
SmokinAl, check several of your recipes and I have to say you are quite a chef. Incredible pictures and explanations, THANKS!!!
hello smokers,
i need your help, i'm looking for the real texan rub recipe (for brisket). Here in France the BBQ is often a fashion and the texas is often used as symbol of the American BBQ for the brisquet. Many recipes are available on youtube etc.
used to do
hello smokers,
Used to do a lot of competition cooking back in the 80's and the flavor profile back then was much different. Now it's more about the quality of the brisket and the smoky flavor as long as it doesn't over power the taste so most all just use a course black pepper and kosher salt combination. I stopped using the old stick burner and stopped cooking all together for a long time. The pellet grills seemed interesting so I bought one and started cooking again just for the personal pleasure of it. I still to this day use the rub we used back in the day, add a little salt and pepper now as it does change the taste. Our go to rub was Adkins Western Style Barbeque Seasoning and I will try to post a pic of it here, but this is my first post on the forum and I may not get it right. Good luck in your ventures at cooking BBQ Texas style.

Attachments

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
My west Texas wife only likes three rubs on brisket; SP, SPOG, or MSS (a Canadian cousin we figure). The one way to ruin a brisket for her is to use a pork butt/rib rub that has brown sugar in it.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.