What's the real TEXAS rub ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zaamy

Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
hello smokers,
i need your help, i'm looking for the real texan rub recipe (for brisket). Here in France the BBQ is often a fashion and the texas is often used as symbol of the American BBQ for the brisquet. Many recipes are available on youtube etc.
But as we say here it is better to ask god than his saints.

Reactions: jcam222
LOL! There are many variations of Texas Rubs. To find the original would be near impossible. I'm sure several members will be along to offer you some suggestions of their versions or help you find others.

The French could uses some Good Old Fashioned Texas BBQ!

Sock it to them my friend!

Good luck,

John

When I lived in Central and West Texas, my rancher friends used salt and pepper.
Awesome brisket.

Don't know if there is "real" one.

Reactions: terryd
I used to live in south Texas and had a buddy born and raised in west Texas that made absolutely the BEST brisket I ever tasted. He used quite a lot of his rub.
I don't know if this is the "REAL" Texas rub but his recipe:
1/4 cup of KOSHER salt
1/4 cup of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic powder (not the real thin fine stuff)
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder

Use your imagination and come up with your own variation of the salt and pepper rub and after a few trials, just stick to what you like the best. Make your own "Texfrench" rub!:emoji_sunglasses:

I used to live in south Texas and had a buddy born and raised in west Texas that made absolutely the BEST brisket I ever tasted. He used quite a lot of his rub.
I don't know if this is the "REAL" Texas rub but his recipe:
1/4 cup of KOSHER salt
1/4 cup of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic powder (not the real thin fine stuff)
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder

Use your imagination and come up with your own variation of the salt and pepper rub and after a few trials, just stick to what you like the best. Make your own "Texfrench" rub!:emoji_sunglasses:
This is the ingredients that I follow, each amount can be adjusted for personal taste. hard to go wrong with simple stuff that can be bought any where imo

Reactions: terryd
Agree with above traditional is coarse salt and pepper. A little add of garlic and onion isn’t uncommon. I’ve been using salt, pepper , onion , garlic and Accent.

hello all, thanks for your answers.
This confirms what I thought. The basis of RUB Texan is really pepper. Everything else changes depending people.

I thank you all .
Soon I will send you pix of my reverse offset which I built with all your advice.

OK Zaamy, have fun trying your own style of rub. I would start with just kosher salt and coarse grind black pepper. Checkout Aaron Franklin BBQ's (very famous) you tube video where he shows how he does it with just salt and pepper. Then you can start adding other spices to your rub until you find what YOU like.

Texas is a very large state (about 680,000 sq km) probably different regions (North, South, Central, etc.) BBQ differently

Reactions: zaamy
I’m not from Texas, but I’d have to say that course ground salt & pepper would be the original Texas rub.

SmokinAl, check several of your recipes and I have to say you are quite a chef. Incredible pictures and explanations, THANKS!!!
hello smokers,
i need your help, i'm looking for the real texan rub recipe (for brisket). Here in France the BBQ is often a fashion and the texas is often used as symbol of the American BBQ for the brisquet. Many recipes are available on youtube etc.
used to do
hello smokers,

Used to do a lot of competition cooking back in the 80's and the flavor profile back then was much different. Now it's more about the quality of the brisket and the smoky flavor as long as it doesn't over power the taste so most all just use a course black pepper and kosher salt combination. I stopped using the old stick burner and stopped cooking all together for a long time. The pellet grills seemed interesting so I bought one and started cooking again just for the personal pleasure of it. I still to this day use the rub we used back in the day, add a little salt and pepper now as it does change the taste. Our go to rub was Adkins Western Style Barbeque Seasoning and I will try to post a pic of it here, but this is my first post on the forum and I may not get it right. Good luck in your ventures at cooking BBQ Texas style.

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 27
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky