What's better for chili?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

froman524

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
I plan on smoking either a brisket flat or a chuck roast to put in a chili? What do you think is better?
What temp should I cook them to for cubing (don't want shredded).
Any other advice for using a smoked meat in chili?

Thanks

I like cooking chili for hours; 3 minimum, 4 is perfect. Since brisket flat and chuck roasts are both cut from the same part of the animal, the real question is how much fat do you want in your chili? The chuck roast will be fattier.

Personally, when I do chili with fresh smoked beef, I only leave it in the smoker until it stalls. By then, there's enough smoke on the beef to carry into the chili. Then I take it out of the smoker, cube it up, and build my chili in a Dutch Oven on the stovetop. I bring it to a simmer then let it go.

I made stew using raw brisket cubed . I did it on the smoker. I first did the Browning and then did some onion and garlic....tomato paste..& some celery, on the stove top for softening.. I dumped in my beef stock and took it out onto the smoker. I smoked the stew for 8 hours and then added the carrots and potatoes. 2 hours later it was good to go.
If you made chili on the smoker for 8 to 10 hours , You add your beans and green peppers or bell peppers the last hour or so. You have to make sure the chili is simmering a bit though.. I'm going to try chili on the smoker soon.
IMG_20170902_124237.jpg IMG_20170902_160526.jpg IMG_20170902_225940.jpg

I did all the food on the smoker thinking the brisket alone being smoked , wouldn't be very smokey after adding it to all that other stuff.

I suggest if you smoke the brisket , maybe ad the peppers and onion into the smoker too for a while. or in the drip pan . and use the juice in the chili after you skim some fat out.

Last edited:
I smoked a chuck to 180 (on the ThermoPro) (Had between 180 and 205 in various spots with the ThermaPen). Had a few slices for dinner Saturday, it was great! Cubed up the rest up on Sunday and made the chili, which turned out great!
Chuck Roast 2017-10-07.jpg
chuck roast chili 2017-10-08.jpeg

I have been thinking about adding smoked meat to my chili. I normally add fresh ground chuck and cubed skirt steak. So my next move is to smoke the skirt steak, cube, then let tenderize over a 6hr cook...

I have been thinking about adding smoked meat to my chili. I normally add fresh ground chuck and cubed skirt steak. So my next move is to smoke the skirt steak, cube, then let tenderize over a 6hr cook...
I'm thinking of doing chili in layers on the smoker to maximize smoke flavor.
First getting the meat and onion started in a Dutch oven. Dump that out into an aluminum pan. Seasoned.....
Get my chili's and bell peppers diced and into another aluminum pan along with some garlic .
I will smoke those two a couple hours then add everything into the Dutch oven..
I use a couple 28 oz cans of whole tomatoes normally. 2 cans of dark red kidney beans. Chili powder and cumin.

Last edited:
Reactions: lovethemeats
That sounds really good. Especially when in a Dutch oven. Everything seems to come out great when done in one of them.

I usually use 3 different meats and have one of them smoked. Either pulled pork or brisket, whichever is on hand then the other 2 meats have them not smoked so as not to get too over bearing smoke flavor. Pulled pork, cubed sirloin and bacon. Or brisket, sausage and bacon. I use smoked paprika too but can't use too many peppers unless I make two batches as I got a wussy in the house.

Reactions: zippy12
Ok so I landed on Flat Iron Steaks smoked to 140F the chili will have 1lb of fresh ground chuck
Cube the Flat Iron Steaks...
This will crockpot over night on low then competition at 11:30am...

Anyone see issues?

20171015_152326.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky