What's a step up from Campchef/Traeger level? Time to upgrade

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wahoowad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Virginia
In 2.5 years I've had nothing but problems from my Campchef...too many failed parts and now it's starting to rust away. I consider Campchef and Traeger and others in that price range to be entry level big-box store products designed for casual users. I smoke enough that I want to now buy a step up and interested in suggestions.

My needs remain fairly basic, usually smoking for small family so that's usually just a chicken or two at a time or a brisket or maybe 3 racks of ribs. What is a good pellet smoker of noticably better quality?

In 2.5 years I've had nothing but problems from my Campchef...too many failed parts and now it's starting to rust away. I consider Campchef and Traeger and others in that price range to be entry level big-box store products designed for casual users. I smoke enough that I want to now buy a step up and interested in suggestions.

My needs remain fairly basic, usually smoking for small family so that's usually just a chicken or two at a time or a brisket or maybe 3 racks of ribs. What is a good pellet smoker of noticably better quality?
Highly recommmend Rec Tec - great product and better CS.

Reactions: sandyut
The Lone Star Grillz pellet was not available when I bought my Yoder. I have not regretted the purchase though. Steady temps built like a tank and now has the Fireboard controller.
ksmith9 mentioned charcoal, I had an LSG insulated cabinet cooker that is very close to set and forget when used with a controller and fan

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Lots of good suggestions above in Rec Teq, Yoder and LSG. Choice between those could couples down to availability in your area.

I just went though the same decision process and ended up with a Recteq 1250, this Thursday will be week one with it and I have already done chicken thighs at 450, spare ribs & tips, 1/2 pork butt, and a brisket point cut.....(ie 45 min, 6 hour, 8 hour, and 12 hour cooks). and all I can say is I like it!

I really like the Yoder and LSG but just couldn’t justify the price point and waiting for one......personally I don’t think you could go wrong with any of them.....

Reactions: GATOR240
I know a Pitts & Spitts owner and dealer. He has sold many to satisfied customers.

A friend used to sell a now defunct brand that was a pretty good unit.
He says to start with Green Mountain

I have a Masterbuilt that is basically a cheaper Traeger clone.
I'm going to try a different controller and if that fails, I will probably jump to a Rec Teq

I just upgraded my Pitboss 700FB to a Recteq 700.
I've already done 2 batches of smoked cashews, a batch of beef jerky, and today is a rack of Spare Ribs.
So far, I am LOVING this Recteq- it holds temp right where I set it, it has no problem starting up, and the build quality is head and shoulders above my old rig.
I added the high-temp gasket tape around the lid as my only change.
Can't go wrong with a Recteq, IMO.

Don't have one but think if I do I'd go with rectec! Haven't heard one bad thing about them. Wished I lived closer to Ohio and Buckeye02 Buckeye02

Ryan

Don't have one but think if I do I'd go with rectec! Haven't heard one bad thing about them. Wished I lived closer to Ohio and Buckeye02 Buckeye02

Ryan
Lol! The 700 wishes you did too! It's been put up for winter for over a month. Keep the WSM and the kettle out year around though. Cook a few times a week on them year aaround. The kettle sees 95% of the action

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky