What Should I Sous Vide First?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
Just got my WiFi Sous Vide from @Inkbirdbbq in the mail yesterday evening. I'm totally new to Sous Vide and I'm asking for y'all's advice on a good inaugural cut of meat and recipe.

IMG_20190529_174328.jpg

I vote chuck roast, awesome hot roast beef sammies. Follow Bears step by step.

I'd also keep it simple. Get some NY Strips...season them...bag them...and cook at 132 for 1.5-2 hours then sear in a hot cast iron pan or grill.

Reactions: JC in GB
The best results I've had is with fresh chicken breasts.. Add the meat to a zip bag, add seasonings and veggie stock.. Place a weight in the bottom of the bag so it doesn't float... Clip the bag to the rim of the water oven leaving the top open so air gets expelled... I sous-vide at 138 for 4 1/2 hours...
They can be sliced for sandwiches, diced into salads, what ever... delicious, tender and juicy...
USDA weights

I'm with daveomak on this one: chicken breasts. Why? Because the result is very different from what you can get with any other technique. The reason? Because you cook them at a completely different temperature from what you can do with normal cooking. Dave recommended 138° F, but I go just slightly higher at 142°. Either way, this is far below the finished temperature of 160°-165° recommended with normal cooking methods. You end up with a texture and taste that is much better than conventional cooking. I love using the chicken made this way as an ingredient in something else, like a chicken salad sandwich.

I am less thrilled with doing steak this way, even though several people are recommending this. The main advantage of sous vide for a steak made from a good cut (e.g., ribeye) is really not the taste or texture, but the uniformity of doneness and the accuracy of the doneness. If you want medium rare, you will get exactly that result every single time you do it, no matter what, but if you can do that using conventional cooking you end up at pretty much the same place. Put another way, you obviously have to do the reverse sear, and once you do that, the results aren't remarkably different from conventional preparation, and you've taken hours to do what you used to do in fifteen minutes. The main reason for using sous vide for steaks is in restaurants, where they can have the steaks prepped and ready to do, and then only have to do the sear before serving.

If you want to do something with meat, look at some of Bearcarver's posts about doing extremely long cooks on less expensive, tough cuts of meat. He and others claim you can get wonderfully tender results. I haven't yet tried this, but I bet it works really well.

If you want to make recipes with raw eggs, you can pasteurize the eggs prior to using them in a recipe (like mayonnaise) and have a completely safe raw egg dish.

Here's a great site for getting more ideas for what to do with your new gadget:

Serious Eats Sous Vide Recipes

I got mine yesterday as well and has been running great for testing since this morning. I have back bacon that needs smoking this weekend so I'll smoke a chuck roast with the bacon a few hours then SV at 135*/30hrs.

My vote is for chicken breasts, for the same reasons as Dave and John mentioned.

If you’re really good at cooking a steak you will see marginal benefit from using SV.

But you could also cook a steak straight from the freezer, it makes cooking dinner a breeze. That’s where it shines when it comes to steak...all the fuss and prep is done in the beginning and you could pull out the steak and sear when dinner is convenient for you.

Also with the wifi units, you could put your bag in some ice water with the SV unit in the morning and then remotely turn on the SV, this way dinner is done when you get home.

Here’s some chicken I did

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/southwest-chicken-salad-sous-vide.262686/

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/sous-vide-chicken-piccata-kind-of.261557/

Definitely check out Serious Eats and Sous Vide Everything...those guys make some fun videos.

Reactions: dr k
The best results I've had is with fresh chicken breasts.. Add the meat to a zip bag, add seasonings and veggie stock.. Place a weight in the bottom of the bag so it doesn't float... Clip the bag to the rim of the water oven leaving the top open so air gets expelled... I sous-vide at 138 for 4 1/2 hours...
They can be sliced for sandwiches, diced into salads, what ever... delicious, tender and juicy...
USDA weights
What a second... You can cook chicken to less than 165º?!?

Somebody please 'splain. This is seriously messing with everything I've ever been taught about chicken.

What a second... You can cook chicken to less than 165º?!?

Somebody please 'splain. This is seriously messing with everything I've ever been taught about chicken.

I do Breast @ 146°, but I take Chicken Thighs to 165° in my SV.

Bear

I've tried them at 143, 148... tough ...
I settled in on 138... tender, moist... The veggie stock adds a great flavor of vegetables to the meat...

Just did these... In the bag with the weight, stock and seasoning...
On the fine china plate with Chile sauce..

....... Chicken 138 SV 001.JPG ... Chicken 138 SV 002.JPG ....

It don't get no better than that....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky