Sous Vide Chuck Roast (Another Experiment)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA

After two Perfect Chuck Roasts in a row, Awhile back I ran into one that was too tough for the same Temp & Time.
I made it exactly like I did the two perfect ones, but it came out Very Tasty, but not even close to Fork Tender.

So then I did one @ 138° for 30 hours, and it came out Great.

So with this 2.7 pound Chuck Roast, I did the following:
When I put it in the Vacuum Bag, I added a Pack of Dry “Beefy Onion” Soup Mix. (Idea from Chopsaw)
Then I filled my Sous Vide Supreme, set it for 135°, and put my Vacuum packed Bagged Chucky in the SV.
30 hours later, I removed the Chucky from the Bath & the Bag, and patted it dry with Paper Towels.
Then I seared both sides in a Buttered Frying Pan, and hit the edges with my Torch, to make it look pretty.
Then I sliced enough for our Dinner, and plated some Chucky slices along with some Corn & some Curly Fries.

This Roast was Fork Tender & mighty tasty, just like the last one I did at 138° for 30 hours.
So either one is fine—138° or 135° for 30 hours makes for some Great Fork Tender Chuckies.

Oh yeah, I had a few more slices for Supper & then sliced the rest of the Roast up for Future Sammies.

Also had some slices with my Eggs the next morning & some Hot Roast Beef Sammies with Gravy (a few times)—Showing one of them below.

Oh Yeah, I also had a Piece of Mrs Bear’s “Blueberry Zuke Bread” (Cake if you ask me).

Thanks for stopping by,

Bear

Great Price for Chucky--$5.99, marked down to $3.77, & $1 off coupon=$2.77:
IMG_3075.jpg

One 2.7 LB Chucky:
IMG_3076.jpg

Vacuum packed with a pack of Dry "Beefy Onion" Soup: (Thanks Chopsaw)
IMG_3079.jpg

In the rack & ready for SV:
IMG_3083.jpg

Fresh out of SV, before Searing.
Note the End Grain Maple Cutting Board I made in 10th grade---55 years ago:
IMG_3084.jpg

After Searing:
IMG_3085.jpg

Slicing enough for Supper for 2:
IMG_3086.jpg

Bear's First Helping, with Curly Fries & Corn:
IMG_3087.jpg

Sliced the rest up for future Sammies:
IMG_3089.jpg

Heating some up to go with a pair of Eggs:
IMG_3091.jpg

Bear's Breakfast:
IMG_3092.jpg

Building a Hot Roast Beef Sammy with Fries:
IMG_3094.jpg

Close Sammy & Add Gravy to Sammy & the Fries. First of many:
IMG_3095.jpg

And for Dessert, a piece of Mrs Bear's "Blueberry Zuke Bread" (I call it Cake):
IMG_3096.jpg

Looks good John... I like it... I'd eat it... I will try you recipe... I like the "beefy onion" soup mix idea... I haven't seen it at the store but I'm gonna look....

Looks Great "All of Them" Nice job again My SV King Friend

Gary

After two Perfect Chuck Roasts in a row, Awhile back I ran into one that was too tough for the same Temp & Time.
I made it exactly like I did the two perfect ones, but it came out Very Tasty, but not even close to Fork Tender.

So then I did one @ 138° for 30 hours, and it came out Great.

So with this 2.7 pound Chuck Roast, I did the following:
When I put it in the Vacuum Bag, I added a Pack of Dry “Beefy Onion” Soup Mix. (Idea from Chopsaw)
Then I filled my Sous Vide Supreme, set it for 135°, and put my Vacuum packed Bagged Chucky in the SV.
30 hours later, I removed the Chucky from the Bath & the Bag, and patted it dry with Paper Towels.
Then I seared both sides in a Buttered Frying Pan, and hit the edges with my Torch, to make it look pretty.
Then I sliced enough for our Dinner, and plated some Chucky slices along with some Corn & some Curly Fries.

This Roast was Fork Tender & mighty tasty, just like the last one I did at 138° for 30 hours.
So either one is fine—138° or 135° for 30 hours makes for some Great Fork Tender Chuckies.

Oh yeah, I had a few more slices for Supper & then sliced the rest of the Roast up for Future Sammies.

Also had some slices with my Eggs the next morning & some Hot Roast Beef Sammies with Gravy (a few times)—Showing one of them below.

Oh Yeah, I also had a Piece of Mrs Bear’s “Blueberry Zuke Bread” (Cake if you ask me).

Thanks for stopping by,

Bear

Great Price for Chucky--$5.99, marked down to $3.77, & $1 off coupon=$2.77:
View attachment 386178

One 2.7 LB Chucky:
View attachment 386179

Vacuum packed with a pack of Dry "Beefy Onion" Soup: (Thanks Chopsaw)
View attachment 386180

In the rack & ready for SV:
View attachment 386181

Fresh out of SV, before Searing.
Note the End Grain Maple Cutting Board I made in 10th grade---55 years ago:
View attachment 386182

After Searing:
View attachment 386183

Slicing enough for Supper for 2:
View attachment 386185

Bear's First Helping, with Curly Fries & Corn:
View attachment 386186

Sliced the rest up for future Sammies:
View attachment 386187

Heating some up to go with a pair of Eggs:
View attachment 386188

Bear's Breakfast:
View attachment 386189

Building a Hot Roast Beef Sammy with Fries:
View attachment 386190

Close Sammy & Add Gravy to Sammy & the Fries. First of many:
View attachment 386191

And for Dessert, a piece of Mrs Bear's "Blueberry Zuke Bread" (I call it Cake):
View attachment 386192

I LIKE on so many levels. Nice cutting board! Got any advice how to improve glue lines? Never could get them as tight as I wanted. No failures just not tight. I think my jointer is to blame. Those dang Christmas ornaments... Unbelieveable tight! Like there aren't any!

Love it Bear!
But I'm sure mine would not trust me with a roast.
Big Like on this!
Damn the Doctors! Now and then a carnivore needs the taste of Beef!

For Dave and anyone else who might be interested, I found this Lipton Beefy Onion Soup link on Amazon. I'm sure many other places carry it too. But wanted to offer a visual.
I want to try that with some of my disasters I'm learning from. :emoji_wink:

Yep, end grain Maple makes the best cutting boards!
After 50 years, it speaks well for your Craftsmanship building it. And the care given it over the eon's of time.
I personally prefer wood cutting boards. I think we get too much plastic hydrocarbon doo-doo and aluminum in our food chain as it is.
Oh, I do have a largo plastic cutting board I use, but I prefer a good natural wood one.

QUESTION:
Sure looks great! In your pic below, what is the white stuff on top of the beef? I thought the soup mix would be brown. And, if soup mix, no added liquids? Anxious to try!!

img_3079-jpg.386180

Bear, I am going with your times /temp on a chucky as I have purchased a sous vide and have gone to the "dark side" .:) Nice looking cutting board sir ! like

Reactions: chopsaw
Had one last nite @138° for 28 hrs, wife tossed hers in the mic for a bit. To rare for her :emoji_angry:.
Was very tender. I think next is going to get injected for more flavor inside.

QUESTION:
Sure looks great! In your pic below, what is the white stuff on top of the beef? I thought the soup mix would be brown. And, if soup mix, no added liquids? Anxious to try!!

Thank You DW!!
That White is actually Gray, but looks white next to the Dark Meat.
It's a lot of Dust & some bigger pieces of Seasonings, and it is totally Dry in a Packet.
When the Roast is done, after 30 hours, there is between 1/2 cup & one Cup of meat juices in the bag mixed with the Soup Mix. We used that Juice to make the Gravy, instead of plain water.

Bear

Looks good John... I like it... I'd eat it... I will try you recipe... I like the "beefy onion" soup mix idea... I haven't seen it at the store but I'm gonna look....

Thank You Dave!!
Chopsaw Tipped me off on the "Beefy Onion Soup Mix".
I never saw it either, but I put Mrs Bear on it. She's my Super-Shopper. She can find anything in those stores.
These were in our "Giant" Food Market.
I got some other stuff I want to try, called "Herb-Ox (Beef)".
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Well I can finally say that our local grocer's carry the beefy onion and it's good. Your plates also look good bear. Still haven't convinced myself to go the SV route, but I'm thinking on it.

Point for sure.
Chris

Awesome looking chuck as usual Bear!

I like Chopsaw’s onion mix idea.

I broke my SV out the other day and really need to try this...if I can get my wife away from the crockpot Mississippi pot roast.

Hmm, maybe a SV Mississippi chuck roast?

Like!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky