What should I do with a HUGE Boneless Center Cut Pork Loin (just shy of 12 lbs)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maria1175

Original poster
Aug 22, 2015
Happy Valley (Central PA)
I just bought it at the store tonight because I got a great deal.  It's GIANT so I assume I will need to cut it into 3 pieces (may freeze one and smoke 2).

I want to smoke it tomorrow, but at this point, don't think I have the time (or energy) to brine it.  Suggestions for rubs, cooking time/temp would be appreciated!  I'm seeing most people say they pull it between 140 and 150 IT with a 30 min rest time.

Hey Maria

That's one big loin.  Yeah, I would cut it unless you're feeding a big crew.  I cook my loin between 225 and 240 to an IT of 140 followed by a rest.  That leaves the meat pink and moist and juicy.  Much over 140 and it will start to dry out--loin is such a lean cut.  You can also butterfly the loin, stuff it with whatever you like and roll it.  (Search stuffed pork loin for some ideas).

Jeff's Rub is a good option, but I feel it needs more salt and garlic.  Just me saying.

Making Canadian Bacon is also an option (see Pop's brine)

Gary

Thanks Gary! Didn't see this in time and that thing is already cooked!! Turned out awesome... Rubbed it with mustard and a random spice mix, smoked at 250 for two hours and it was already at 150! Got it out as fast as I could. Still tastes amazing and is pretty juicy considering that I over cooked it.

There is still a lot that can be done with leftovers. Thin sliced and just barely heated in Gravy makes a great sandwich. Either open face or on a long roll. Taco's are a great choice as well as Fajitas. Stir Fry is popular around here. Chili (see below) is a favorite with leftover Pork. Next time you get a deal, I highly recommend Pops Bine for easy Canadian Bacon and the other Recipes below are for a bit fancier meal with Loin...JJ

Smokin' Butt Chili

4lb Smoked Pork Butt or Loin

3C Chopped Onion

2T Minced Garlic

Evoo as needed

4-4oz Cans Chopped Green Chilies, Old El paso or 1lb Fresh Green Chilies, roasted, peeled and chopped

12oz Tomato Paste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1/2C Dark Chili Powder...OR... Run for the Border Rub.

2T New Mex Chili Powder or Smoked Paprika

1T Mex Oregano

1T Grnd Cumin

1tsp Grnd Allspice

1tsp Grnd Cinnamon

1tsp Cayenne or to taste, this is Mild. 

1tsp Black Pepper

2T Beef Base or Bouillon 

2-28oz cans Diced Tomatoes

12oz Favorite Beer

Optional...2-4 14oz cans Beans of choice, drained and rinsed.

This Chili is truly mild. For an Actual Smokin Butt add 1 Can Chipotle in Adobo, pureed and/or 3-4tsp's Cayenne or Crushed Red Pepper flakes, for some serious heat.

Saute onions in evoo until golden add garlic and tomato paste and saute until starting to brown.

Add brn sugar and all spices, saute about 5 minutes to awaken flavors.

Add the Green Chilies,Tomatoes, Beer, Base and Pulled or Cubed Pork. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until flavors combine and Chili is reduced to desired thickness.

Add Beans if using and continue to simmer until hot.

Adjust seasoning and Serve.

Smokey Low Fat Apple Pork Loin

Loins are very lean so it is important to smoke them to a critical Internal Temp (IT). The addition of a Brine adds flavor, helps maintain moisture during and after cooking and tenderizes the meat. Pork Loins are the muscle that center cut Pork Chops are cut from and though internally lean, usually come with a thin layer of Fat on the top. This can be removed easily, if desired. Pork Loins are smoked Low and Slow, 225 to 250°F and depending on the thickness, usually 3 to 6", will take no more than 2 to 4 hours to get to an IT of 140 to 150°F. It is important to understand that Pork is very safe and parasite free compared to what Grandma ate and cooked to Death, an IT of 165°F or more! The USDA says modern pork is fully cooked at an IT of 145°F. Smoking to 140° then letting the meat rest 20 to 30 minutes, tented with foil, will let Carryover Cooking let it rise to 145°F. At this temp the meat will be slightly Pink which may freak out some people but is a juicy and perfectly cooked. For those that refuse to eat pink meat, smoke to 150°F with a rest and the Pork will still be moist but no pink.

Here are a couple of Recipes you may like to try...JJ

Apple Pork Brine

2-12oz.Cans Apple Juice Concentrate

1C Apple Cider Vinegar

1/4C Molasses

1/4C Mustard

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Pickling Spice (optional)

1T Sage, rubbed

1Gal Water

Combine all and Brine the meat at least over night, 24-48 hours would be better.

Mild Bubba Q Rub  (All Purpose)

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder* (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

For more heat add Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there. Makes about 1 Cup

Apply your desired amount of Rub to the meat, wrap in plastic and rest in the refrigerator over night.or longer. The day of the smoke, pull the meat out, add more Rub and go into your pre-heated Smoker...

Note*...Some Chili Powders can be pretty Hot. McCormick and Spice Island are Mild...

Apple Pork Topper

3C Apple Sauce

3T Dijon Mustard

3T Brown Sugar

2T Apple cider Vinegar

1tsp Rubbed Sage

1/2tsp Black Pepper

1/2tsp Salt

1/8tsp Cinnamon

Optional: 2-3 Apples, peeled, diced and sauteed until golden brown and tender in 2T Butter.

Place all in a pot and simmer on low until thick but still pourable. Adjust sweet/salt to taste. Spoon over Pork Roast, during last 30-60 minutes of Cook time or when an IT of 110° is reached. Raising the Smoker temperature will caramelize the topping a bit...BUT...Pull and rest the meat, Uncovered, when the IT reaches 135°F. The hotter surface will cause a 5-10° Carryover rise and overcook the meat if you go to a higher IT. Serve the remainder, hot, over the sliced pork at the table...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky