What kinda of knife do you trim fat with?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
I have been using a straight blade boning type knife (very flexible) and a basic cooks knife.

I am wondering if something like a curved boning like this or a scimitar would be better? or if what I am using is about as good as it gets?

lemme know!

I have a curved skinning knife for taking rind off of pork belly, I have used it to trim fat also. I guess it depends on what you are trimming fat from.

Corey

I like the boning shape, and have a rigid '70 era Chicago Cultery boning and a flexible Victorinox boning knife. I have some fillet knives for close in work and an Old Hickory 'butcher knife' passed down from my Grandma.
en9DEkH.jpg
My 'traveling' knives are the vintage Blade Trader style from Kershaw and come in a really nice knife roll or belt sheath (the top one). So if somebody volunteers me at a a party or some other event to help them prep some food in the kitchen, I have my own knives as close as my pickup.
xZM0Kl2.jpg
AC53gdA.jpg

Cimeter? Yeah, I got one plus a nice slicer. They are perfect for showing off and telegraphing the message that you know what you are doing. :emoji_laughing: And and I can get a scary sharp edge on them. They are not very delicate, and much better suited for slicing meat on a serving line.
a2DuqoJ.jpg

Reactions: MJB05615
I forgot to mention a new knife I've been testing for a year or two. Havalon is marketed as a skinning knife for hunting or fishing fillet knife. You just swap the blade. They are basically a scalpel on steroids and the blades are so inexpensive you replace them. Part of my testing is re-honing the original blades, and comparing them to the new blades you get when you order. Two-licks on my original blades with a ceramic hone makes them brand new. A hunter/trapper friend skinned 2 deer and 2 elk with the same blade, and used it to trim out some of the easy cuts like the backstraps and inside loins.
LW2pkKv.jpg
They have limitations, but the sharpness works in your favor and as long as you don't force the knife it works wonderfully.

Forever sharp boning knife . My wife bought at the mall 30 years ago . I told her " you wasted $5 "
Never used it until about 4 years ago . I use it for everything now . So sharp and fits me like a body part .

Last edited:
I use my great grandfathers knife for any kind of trimming. It's also great for boning out a deer. The knife is well over 100 years old. Just had a knife maker put me a new handle in it a couple of weeks ago.
IMG_5128.jpg

With the old original Hickory handle
IMG_5291.jpg

New handle
IMG_5290.jpg

The Best Knife for Trimming Fat? A SHARP ONE!😂
Realistically, the Shape of the knife depends on your Skill. 40 years with an 8" Chef's Knife in my hand and I can Peel an Apple, Trim or Carve Roast Beef or Filet a Fish, with that one knife. Beyond that, I agree with the Gang above, a Flexible Curved Boning Knife is a great choice for removing Fat and if need be, Bone Out the toughest cut...JJ

great input!! thank you all. I think I need a new knife!

I use a curved & a straight boning knife depending on what I’m trimming, but as JJ says it has to be super sharp. I’m doing a Prime brisket for TG Day & it is thawing in the fridge as we speak. I just got done sharpening 5 of my boning knives, so I have choices for the trimming!
Al

Reactions: chopsaw
I think what I need is this the one I am using is straight blade and very flexible - TOO flexible and the point is not very good. It needs a pro to re-sharpen/shape it or something. I inherited the knife and its had a hard life.

I use the same knife I use for everything else---The Fillet Knife I took out of my Fishing Tackle box many years ago.
I even got a brand new one this year, but I still like the 20 year old the best.
I think it's a "Rapala".

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky