What have I gotten myself into?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heatman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Sheridan In.
So a friend asked me to do pulled pork for his wedding after his original guy backed out. Started out at 50-60 people and grew to 120!!! I only have a 22" WSM. So I am smoking 8 shoulder/ butts for them. I have 6 on the WSM now, good fire with the CyberQ set to 275. I is holding steady at 227. I assume because of the 55 pounds of cold meat on there?

Plan is to smoke until they hit the stall then wrap and finish in the oven with possibly a couple on the grill. Then I will throw on the other 3. Decided I might as well do one for myself while I'm at it.

Kingsford, Hickory, and Jeff's rub. Yep this is how I spend a vacation day.

Round #1

Attachments

• jAhzgHa9TmycDsm1cxmrXQ.jpg
    jAhzgHa9TmycDsm1cxmrXQ.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: zwiller and gmc2003
Kudos to you for helping out. Though I've never done it, it would seem cooking large quantities requires additional skills over cooking one or two of something. Sounds like you've got it planned out very well. Hope it turns out amazing for you and wedding.

As long as you got some cold beer sounds like a good time!

Whip up some homemade bbq sauce while you are waiting and really blow them away!

Your are good friend for doing this. That's quite the undertaking.

I have a feeling your not gonna want to see any PP in the foreseeable future.

Point for sure.

Chris

A little update. Smoker did get up to 250 after an hour so I lowered the CyberQ to 250 and getting that nice TBS.

Attachments

• R7Z6pljvRKiQoViwTmepKw.jpg
    R7Z6pljvRKiQoViwTmepKw.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 40
I just did 2 butts in MES30 @ 275F and took 24hours+ no wrap tho. 6 butts sounds like a bit much for one smoker but no idea what a WSM with cyberQ can do. You are a good man for doing this (like) and hope all goes well.

I'm in on watching this one! But I wanna see how you stacked 6 Butts in a WSM. Three on each level, I assume, but how close are they and any touching each other or sides?

I did fourteen butts for my son's wedding two years ago. Had my three smoker going around the clock for thirty-six hours, adding coals and wood every two and a half hours. I slept pretty good after the last two came off!

Reactions: heatman
Just an idea but why not make it a smoker party? ;) Get a few fellas over with smokers, a case of beer and a few bottles of fireball in a cooler... ;)

1st pic was after about 5 hours. 3 on each level and not touching but tight. Just tented 3 and finishing on the Weber gas grill. Wrapped the other 3 and put on the top shelf of the WSM to finish. Added the last 3 new butts to bottom shelf of the WSM.

Did I mention I only got 5 hours sleep last night? Going to be a long day!

Attachments

• qfoV4+iES1ipJotZPeA4HA.jpg
    qfoV4+iES1ipJotZPeA4HA.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 36321591_10212624551348856_5788014953063514112_n.jpg
    36321591_10212624551348856_5788014953063514112_n.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Reactions: muskyjunky
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky