What’s with Rec Tec?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That was my next option was to set the 2.4 to a Static Port Assignment. I have not seen where the Networks can be named differently but I'll look.

Thought about that however since it does not see the Router at all figured that would be problematic. Another odd issue is that it does recognize a Wireless node named ORBI_ext and I do not have extenders as such. I do have two Satellites but the SSID always displays the "ORBI" regardless of which unit you are actually connected to determined by signal strength.

Thanks for you Help.
I would still try to disable it and see what happens. It might see it once it gets disabled. Channels should not make a difference. 2.4 and 5 run on totally different frequency. Really odd it does not see it though.

You should be able to add multiple wireless networks with any name you like. Do you have the option to setup a guest network for 2.4 only?

You should be able to add multiple wireless networks with any name you like. Do you have the option to setup a guest network for 2.4 only?

Started a Guest Network and other Devices connected however at 5G and no options to change Protocol.

Guest Network.jpg

Devices.jpg

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-Connecting-a-device-to-2-4GHz-only/td-p/1546178

According to the thread I posted, whatever device you use to control the RecTec must also be on 2.4. This may be the issue you're experiencing. Your router doesn't have a way to set 2.4 only. It's all automatic. I have a Netgear but not the Orbi and I setup 2.4 and 5 with different names.

Here is a quote from the Netgear link above: "However, I believe there are some devices that only talk 2.4 GHz which require setup from a phone or tablet, and that setup will not work unless the phone or tablet is also connected to 2.4 GHz."

That is the exact scenario the RecTec requires. Unfortunately I don't think there is a workaround in your case.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-Connecting-a-device-to-2-4GHz-only/td-p/1546178

According to the thread I posted, whatever device you use to control the RecTec must also be on 2.4. This may be the issue you're experiencing. Your router doesn't have a way to set 2.4 only. It's all automatic. I have a Netgear but not the Orbi and I setup 2.4 and 5 with different names.

Here is a quote from the Netgear link above: "However, I believe there are some devices that only talk 2.4 GHz which require setup from a phone or tablet, and that setup will not work unless the phone or tablet is also connected to 2.4 GHz."

That is the exact scenario the RecTec requires. Unfortunately I don't think there is a workaround in your case.
There is, you can just turn off the 5GHZ and connect the devices. Then the rec tec should pick it up. At least try it and see if that works. Then you can at least go from there.

Reactions: SlowmotionQue

Thanks Ross for taking your time to respond, appreciate it.

There is, you can just turn off the 5GHZ and connect the devices. Then the rec tec should pick it up. At least try it and see if that works. Then you can at least go from there.
If that doesn't work use an old tablet or phone that only supports 2.4ghz and it will work fine during the setup.

If that doesn't work use an old tablet or phone that only supports 2.4ghz and it will work fine during the setup.

Zach from Rec-Tec, very knowledgeable, and I worked on it this afternoon and he actually has an ORBI Mesh setup. He said it was not usable with the most current version of software on my phone, no matter how the ORBI is configured. He sent me a Beta Version of the app. The new version did see my Router however it designated it was 5 Ghz only. While trying to establish the connection I walked away from my Router until my 5G dropped but still a weak signal which would have been connected to the 2.4 Ghz only. Walked back towards the Grill, Network light on solid and it connected as designed. I now can control the Smoker from my phone.

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate the community.

Zach from Rec-Tec, very knowledgeable, and I worked on it this afternoon and he actually has an ORBI Mesh setup. He said it was not usable with the most current version of software on my phone, no matter how the ORBI is configured. He sent me a Beta Version of the app. The new version did see my Router however it designated it was 5 Ghz only. While trying to establish the connection I walked away from my Router until my 5G dropped but still a weak signal which would have been connected to the 2.4 Ghz only. Walked back towards the Grill, Network light on solid and it connected as designed. I now can control the Smoker from my phone.

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate the community.

Glad to see that you got things working as they should.

Now you know the correct way to install your drip pan, which is with the left and right drip pan edges sitting in the left and right drip pan supports.

You also know to let the PID controller do it’s thing and manage your temps and not to unplug the grill. And know how the shutdown sequence looks.

But most importantly, you can get to enjoying your purchase and your WiFi is working.

You have all the functionality. That’s huge.

Nothing left to do now but get cooking, trying different foods, different pellets etc.

I hate that your last cookout got ruined.

But you’re set to make some good BBQ now.

Good luck CountyCop911. And enjoy the Bull.

Last edited:
Hope you enjoy many good cooks on your Bull! Mine is only six months old and have really loved the performance

Reactions: CountyCop911
Glad to see that you got things working as they should.

Now you know the correct way to install your drip pan, which is with the left and right drip pan edges sitting in the left and right drip pan supports.

You also know to let the PID controller do it’s thing and manage your temps and not to unplug the grill. And know how the shutdown sequence looks.

But most importantly, you can get to enjoying your purchase and your WiFi is working.

You have all the functionality. That’s huge.

Nothing left to do now but get cooking, trying different foods, different pellets etc.

I hate that your last cookout got ruined.

But you’re set to make some good BBQ now.

Good luck CountyCop911. And enjoy the Bull.

Thanks SloMo. Have a big Party (25 People) for this coming Tuesday. A number of the individuals are from Texas so I am going to attempt a Brisket as well. Now to find the best recipe. This Forum is loaded with advice.

Hey country cop. Sorry I missed if you have been smoking before you bought your Bull. Briskets can be a little challenging. Are you thinking a full packer, just the flat or??? I mostly do just the flat. A large one take many hours, planning for a lot of buffer between cooking and eating is a stress saver. If you cooked these before then you know all that but just wanted to help if I could.

Hey country cop. Sorry I missed if you have been smoking before you bought your Bull. Briskets can be a little challenging. Are you thinking a full packer, just the flat or??? I mostly do just the flat. A large one take many hours, planning for a lot of buffer between cooking and eating is a stress saver. If you cooked these before then you know all that but just wanted to help if I could.

I'm getting one ready to go on the Stampede tonight for my wife's Game of Thrones party tomorrow night.

IMG_0314.JPG

Doused in Worcesteshire sauce after trimming some of the fat. The Worcesteshire for seasoning and to make the rub stick.
IMG_5679.JPG

After the application of my favorite rub, Three Little Pigs Kansas City Championship, mixed up with a tad of brown sugar, to cut some of the salt in it, and then dusted with Bone Sucking Sauce Seasoning and rub, it's to the fridge for a few hours before it goes onto the Rec Tec Stampede round midnight. Cold meat takes on smoke better. It should be ready some time tomorrow morning.
IMG_9149 2.JPG

Last edited:
I'm getting one ready to go on the Stampede tonight for my wife's Game of Thrones party tomorrow night.

View attachment 393143
Doused in Worcesteshire sauce after trimming some of the fat. The Worcesteshire for seasoning and to make the rub stick.View attachment 393144
After the application of my favorite rub, Three Little Pigs Kansas City Championship, mixed up with a tad of brown sugar, to cut some of the salt in it, and then dusted with Bone Sucking Sauce Seasoning and rub, it's to the fridge for a few hours before it goes onto the Rec Tec Stampede round midnight. Cold meat takes on smoke better. It should be ready some time tomorrow morning.
View attachment 393145 .

...and best IT when smoking completed to be able to slice? Not my first smoking however tend to do more BBR's and Pork Steaks than Briskets which tends to go straight from the smoker to the Table. I am seeing the "Resting Period". Does that mean it is served cold?

Thanks for the help.

PS. I just used two acronyms in my reply. Does that make me at least a Rookie Smoker?

Now that looks real good metsfan. Real good indeed. Nice work, nice bark on that shoulder, and above all else it's moist and not dried out. Nicely done.

I just got my brisket on the grates at 10:02 PM EST.

Let's light up the smoke tube. I use a blowtorch to make sure that I get it lit real good and let it burn while the Stampede is getting up to temp. Then I blow it out and put it inside the smoker.

IMG_2177.JPG

Let's fire up the Stampede and get the probes hooked up. She's matching up real good with the readings of the Thermoworks Smoke, and without any adjustment.

IMG_0612.JPG

Let's get the smoke tube propped up and in a good spot and make sure it's well lit and giving off a good smoke from that mix of A-Maze-N pecan and hickory pellets.
IMG_5012.JPG

And put the brisket on after that.

IMG_5930.JPG

Let's let the PID controller do it's thing after I forget where I put my phone and leave the lid open while I'm looking for it, having the auger dump in pellets the whole time the lid is open. Then watching the temps spike up to over 260 degrees as a result after I finally do find my phone, take a pic and ultimately close the lid, only to watch it correct out a few minutes later.

IMG_1542.PNG

IMG_1543.PNG

Wow. It went back to 225* after spiking and overshooting to 268, all without me doing a thing. How about that.

How long did it take? Looks like around 10-15 minutes, near as I can tell. I had headed upstairs.

Let's let it ride. I'm taking a shower and getting ready to turn in. There's nothing I can do to make things go any smoother, so I may as well call it a night.

IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_1541.jpg

I'll see you in the morning.

Last edited:
...and best IT when smoking completed to be able to slice? Not my first smoking however tend to do more BBR's and Pork Steaks than Briskets which tends to go straight from the smoker to the Table. I am seeing the "Resting Period". Does that mean it is served cold?

Thanks for the help.

PS. I just used two acronyms in my reply. Does that make me at least a Rookie Smoker?

When I get up in the morning, it will be in the stall.

I'll use a technique that I've seen Harry Soo use and that has given me great results then. I used to wrap in butcher paper, but now I'm back to foil.

Take a look at the video at about 4:40 on in. I follow this technique and it's given me remarkable results.

The Au Jus and fat separator, make a huge difference.

Now that looks real good metsfan. Real good indeed. Nice work, nice bark on that shoulder, and above all else it's moist and not dried out. Nicely done.

I just got my brisket on the grates at 10:02 PM EST.

Let's light up the smoke tubeView attachment 393170

Let's fire up the Stampede and get the probes hooked up. She's matching up real good with the readings of the Thermoworks Smoke, and without any adjustment.

View attachment 393171

Let's get the smoke tube propped up and in a good spot and make sure it's well lit and giving off a good smoke from that mix of A-Maze-N pecan and hickory pellets.
View attachment 393172

And put the brisket on after that.

View attachment 393173

Let's let the PID controller do it's thing after I forget where I put my phone and leave the lid open looking for it, having the auger dump in pellets the whole time, and then watching the temps spike up to over 260 degrees as a result after I finally do find my phone, take a pic and ultimately close the lid, only to watch it correct out a few minutes later.

View attachment 393174
View attachment 393175

Wow. It went back to 225* after spiking to 268, without me doing a thing. How about that.

How long did it take?

Let's let it ride. I'm taking a shower and getting ready to turn in. There's nothing I can do to make things go any smoother, so I may as well call it a night.

View attachment 393176
View attachment 393177

I'll see you in the morning.
Looking real good. Pretty much ahve the same set up with my smoke.
Whats the bracket on the A-Maze-N tube used for? You put that on yourself?

Looking real good. Pretty much ahve the same set up with my smoke.
Whats the bracket on the A-Maze-N tube used for? You put that on yourself?
Yes. It’s a u bolt. Like a muffler clamp. However it’s stainless steel.

It props the front of the tube up. Keeps those pellets near the end from spilling out. Learned about this on this forum. Also, for reasons I don’t know, it makes the tube burn longer.

If you do this, make sure that you’re using all stainless hardware. No zinc.

7:14AM. After I've slept like a baby, woke up, checked my notifications and responded to metsfan2152 above. This is what pellet smoking is all about. Sleeping through the night without tending a fire and vents, and not worrying about wild temperature swings.

You simply can't impede the Stampede.:emoji_wink:

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_3296.JPG

IMG_9373.JPG

She went through a few pellets, and of course the smoke tube has burned out, but I'm liking the bark on this brisket. I pulled it, added the beef broth and wrapped it at this point, then put it back on the Stampede just as it has started to rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: dubob
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky