Whast cut of meat for sandwiches

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjoff

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Elk Grove CA
What cut of beef is the best to smoke and slice thin for sandwich meat?  I am going to start making my own lunch meat and want to do turkey, chicken and beef, just not sure on the cut for beef.  

Round or sirloin tip but keep a close eye on them ( so they don't dry out) and make sure and catch all the juices for au jus.

You want something lean for lunchmeat. I just smoked up a rump roast and it came out perfect. I took it to 150 degrees so it just had a hint of pink in the middle. I would steer clear of any chuck though. Round roast, eye of round etc should all be good..

Then of course there's the corned beef brisket. Season that up and smoke it into some pastrami..

The last pork loin I cooked got sliced thin and turned out completely and totally fantastic.

I would like to find out what piece of meat is used for the style roast beef that Arby's uses.

Try a Sirloin Tip Roast go simple on the seasonings and take it to 135-140 internal then after the rest put it in the fridge to get cold then slice it as thin as you can.

I personally would take a whole top round, remove the cap, cut it lengthwise in half, tie it, season it and smoke it to 140°, let rest for 20 min.; you'd have the most consistent roast beef with little or no grizzle or interior connective tissue.

I would like to find out what piece of meat is used for the style roast beef that Arby's uses.
Processed beef parts.

To the OP I recently did a Sirloin Tip roast that came out so good I am going to attempt to re-create the same magic with a Cross Rib roast this weekend.

I personally would take a whole top round, remove the cap, cut it lengthwise in half, tie it, season it and smoke it to 140°, let rest for 20 min.; you'd have the most consistent roast beef with little or no grizzle or interior connective tissue.
that's what we used at one place i worked.............i like mine @ 130-135 though. i've used sirloin and rib but they are much more $.

Ya, trying to spare the vampires... 130° is niceee... but the wife just doesn't understand my attraction to the rarer fare!
biggrin.gif

Ya, trying to spare the vampires... 130° is niceee... but the wife just doesn't understand my attraction to the rarer fare!
biggrin.gif
you mean ya haven't been able to bring her over to the darkside yet?

e0e43905_vampire-power-1.jpg

I am about to try my first attempt at making roast beef for sandwich. My question is, I will have about 3lbs after all said and done, should I slice all of it and then vacuum seal some for later. If I vacuum seal how long would it stay good without freezing it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky