Wet Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ewillie

Original poster
Jan 2, 2015
Lewis Center, OH
l had people over the other night and did a brisket in the Traeger, but also some ribs and later nachos in the Big Green Egg.

I left my box open, and before guests left it started raining right on a recently opened bag of BGE Lump.

Is it ruined?  I've had the Egg for 8 years and never did this before.  My hope is that once it's dry it will be useful again.

Thanks, Erik

I dont think the smoker is ruined. The charcoal I would let it dry out real good and it will be hit or miss. I have had charcoal get wet and after drying it was fine, a little hard to light but it worked. Then I have had some that was a total loss.

Near my smoker I keep charcoal and wood chunks handy in Home Depot buckets with lids. They stay dry even when it is pouring rain. A few weeks ago I didn't press the lid to seal on the charcoal and it blew off in a rainstorm. Charcoal got soaked. I just emptied the water and put the open bucket in the garage for a couple weeks. Dried out nicely and worked fine.

I could have explained better.

The BGE did get closed, so its fine.  I left my deck box where I keep the charcoal open, so that was my downfall.

I like the Home Depot bucket idea!

Just dry the charcoal out as quickly as you can in a warm place and it will be fine. It is when you leave it damp for a period of time that it tends to develop the musty smells.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky