We're up and running!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Unique Name

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
This guy's been on for about 2 hours now...
I'll try and get a better pic a bit later...
2wrf6a.jpg

Reactions: Preacher Man
Hey, y'all!
So my 8Lb picnic has been cruising at roughly 250° for about four and a half hours. The IT is reading 160°.
Isn't that a bit quick?
(I'm not touching bone and have checked several different areas)
Seems very fast to me.

should hit the stall now....might be there a while....drink a beer, relax, and let it cook...

How thick does the butt look? Thickness matters more than how much it weighs.
Thanks for the reply, Swamp Man.
She's THICK. Basically a block.

Hey, boys. I got the dude wrapped now, but I didn't get much of a bark...
Too much rub?
Not enough?
Wrong combo?

did you dry the pork butt and get it tacky? Did the rub have sugar in it?
I rinsed and dried, put about a tbls of bbq sauce as binder. LOTS of sugar! But LOTS of chili powder, pepper, etc also.

Looks good. Weird about the rub. I’ve noticed that when I wrap mine the bark isn’t as “barkey” I’d that makes sense. It’s softer. But stilll tastes good. Post up a finished pic when it’s dine. And I’ll +1 to the finishing sauce and agree with the stall. Could be at that temp for a little while

Reactions: Unique Name
7 hours
205°
No/Very little bark...
Anyone know what causes this phenomena? (LoL)
Of, well.
Into the cooler to rest for a bit.
2wry8l.jpg

"Tender roni," that's what matters! Congrats!
Does have me a bit puzzled though.
I wonder if it has something to do with the bark never forming?
It's like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop...
2ws9si.jpg

I've had wrapped 8 lb'ers finish at 1 hr / lb, but I was running at 300-325F. It's been several years since I wrapped a butt in a pan with foil, but wrapping will definitely give a soft bark to no bark at all. Wrapping AFTER the stall, like 175-180F IT, gives a firmer bark, but not that black, crunchy, addictive goodness that fills the belly of the puller and kids standing within arm's reach. Wrapping in butcher paper is the best of both worlds; firm bark, yet cuts the time a little.

Looks mighty fine from here. It's tough to tell from your first pic, but how heavy of a rub did you put on? The pre-pull pic looks like it might have been a lite coating. You may need to go thicker next time for a heavy bark.

Point for sure

Chris

Reactions: Unique Name
Looks mighty fine from here. It's tough to tell from your first pic, but how heavy of a rub did you put on? The pre-pull pic looks like it might have been a lite coating. You may need to go thicker next time for a heavy bark.

Point for sure

Chris
Heavy. I probably used a cup of rub. AT LEAST! I hit it, left it in the fridge (wrapped) overnight, hit it again in the morning and put her in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky