Went Fishing At Lake Sam's Tuesday...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
... and they were biting. Steelhead specifically. I did a 6-hour dry cure with overnight rest, then smoked these in my Big Chief with pecan pellets for maybe 3.5 hours. The pecan gives them a darker color. The seasoning was a sprinkle of garlic powder, and a heavy hand on the cracked pepper.

fY0g5Zn.jpg

Thats some good looking fish. Did you take it to a certain IT?

Looks great! I’ve caught tons of fresh water steelhead and have yet to smoke any. It’s been a few years since I’ve got a chance to hit the river. The changed the strain they are stocking so our runs have changed from Sept. start to November starts. Used to run Sept into November now November into March.

Thats some good looking fish. Did you take it to a certain IT?
Yes. 145°F is my personal favorite temp. The south end of the tail will get higher, and the belly strips (one is missing) will too, but they are very fatty. Some of my friends like a dryer product and I'll go 150° or so on theirs.

Looks great! I’ve caught tons of fresh water steelhead and have yet to smoke any. It’s been a few years since I’ve got a chance to hit the river. The changed the strain they are stocking so our runs have changed from Sept. start to November starts. Used to run Sept into November now November into March.
We have 7 or 8 species of trout, and several variations, but have to fish in Idaho for steelhead. I like steelhead for smoking because the thickness is very even, and the fat ratio is good for smoking.

Reactions: DanMcG and jcam222
Beautiful. I’ve never been big on freshwater fish, but that looks like I may need to try again. It’s been a few years.

Nice looking fish. We used Pecan when we did salmon also. Good wood for fish I think or alder is pretty good also.

Beautiful. I’ve never been big on freshwater fish, but that looks like I may need to try again. It’s been a few years.
You need an oily fish. Most steelhead swim out to sea during their adult years and then return to a river for spawning. Salmon are another choice. Trout are less fatty, but have a great flavor depending on their feed.

Great looking load, I smoked pink on a Big Chief for 30 years, can't be beat! RAY

man that looks great. Only time I've had trout was working in Oregon and a fella I worked with cooked some that he had caught.
Jim

The fish looks good. Never been a fan of Salmon but Smoked Trout I enjoy...JJ

That looks absolutely delicious!! Beautiful color on the fish and it looks nice and flaky from what I can see. Well done!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky