Well I Went And Did It: Ordered My Santa Maria From Sunterra

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Wasn't long ago that SmokinAl SmokinAl posted about the Santa Maria attachment for his Weber. That really got me wanting one then Chris_in_SoCal Chris_in_SoCal posted his backyard renovation that included a larger Santa Maria that is absolutely amazing. At that point my mind was made up....one way or another I was going to get one. I just needed to convince the wife that we needed this more than anything else in the world. Took a couple months but she finally agreed and I ordered it immediately before she had a chance to change her mind. I already have more cookers on the patio than should be allowed by law so space is at a premium. Did a little mental re-arranging and decided that I could make room for the 36", but that is as big as I could go. They are running some decent Spring sales on certain packages and I took advantage of that. It should be here next week and I can't wait!!

Here is the link to the one I ordered: https://www.sunterraoutdoor.com/santa-maria-grill/santa-maria-36-cart-3601-36dsicrt-detail
upload_2019-5-15_5-35-15.png

More than likely the first thing I'm going to do it start drilling holes in it and install two gas log lighters in the bottom so I can just go "click" and get my fire started, then turn the gas off. The next thing will be to improvise one of the several rotisseries I have from different grills to adapt for use on this one. As of last Saturday I have a huge Certified Angus Beef Prime Rib in the fridge that's going to age for 60 days and it's going to be cooked on this rig using the rotisserie.

SMF is killing my bank account,
Robert

"And its not even Christmas WOW. Nice ha the cost of toys for men.

Warren"

Mom always told me the only difference between me and boys was the size of their feet and the price of their toys :emoji_blush:

Big feet and a bunch of toys,
Robert

That’s a beautiful grill ya go there, tx!

You could never have enough toys, but my wife tends to disagree!

Are you going down to San Antonio to get it or shipping? What did shipping run if so? I'm looking at one too and thought we would make a weekend of it and drive down when it was ready fro DFW. I like the split gate 48" with firebrick bottom. Be sure to post some pics please.. good luck

Jon

"Are you going down to San Antonio to get it or shipping? What did shipping run if so? I'm looking at one too and thought we would make a weekend of it and drive down when it was ready fro DFW. I like the split gate 48" with firebrick bottom. Be sure to post some pics please.. good luck

Jon"

My original anticipation was to drive down to SA and pick it up but apparently Sunterra isn't real fond of people coming to their facility. I was told I could pick it up at the shipping terminal. It is being shipped to the Saia (trucking company) terminal in north Austin and I'll pick it up from there. Cost to get it from SA to Austin was $108 then they wanted an additional $100 to drop it at my house. The Saia terminal is only 20 to 25 minutes from me so to save the money and time, I'll load up in the big truck and go get it. The fun part will be getting it off the truck, onto the cart, then through the house onto the patio. I have it figured out and will certainly post pics. This is going to be quite an endeavor because the grill weighs about 400 pounds. If you want to save some money, you can have yours shipped to the same terminal and I'll pick it up for you. From there you'll need to come visit and pick it up from me....but we love having company and I can promise you a good dinner, good libations, and a comfortable place to lay your head if you want to make an overnight trip out of it.

Rolling out the red carpet,
Robert

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
"now that sounds like a deal to me, I'll have to turn up the charm on the wife to get the "go ahead" on this. Thanks."

My wife originally said "no" because we are very close to achieving some aggressive financial goals we set for ourselves recently and she didn't want the additional expense. When I told her I planned to give up my vacation time at work and just draw a check for it to pay for the grill, she gave in. It may take me a little while sometimes to play the game, but I have the rules figured out and know exactly when and which buttons to push.

Just keep me posted on your progress with the purchase and we will figure it out. They ship from SA to Austin every Tuesday but you need to have your order placed fairly early the week before to go on next week's truck.

Robert

"now that sounds like a deal to me, I'll have to turn up the charm on the wife to get the "go ahead" on this. Thanks."

If you decide to come visit, here is a glimpse of the torture you'll have to endure in The Hill Country. It's pretty horrible :emoji_wink:

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

Hope to hear from you soon that the wife gave you the green light!!

Robert

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 10
You are going to love that pit grill. I know I do love using mine.

Great place you have there to enjoy the cook.

If I remember correctly is was $250 to ship it to CA drop off point and another $100 to drop it off at my house. I had planned to pick it up but things changed and I had to have it delivered to the house. Since I added the home shipping later it was $150. It was a lot for the pit and shipping but in the end worth every penny.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky