Welcome New Members

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
TulsaJeff, Thank s for the fine welcome! I look forward to the benefits and enjoyment of this forum.

Jim

Welcome to the Smoking Meat Forums Jim, hope you find a lot tips and tricks that will make you the envy of your neighbors.

Interesting site. I hope to be able to learn some good tips on meat preserving as well as be able to pass along some of the things I've learned over the years.

Welcome brandx, this is an interesting site and the regulars that post here are interesting too-a little strange at times (must be from inhaling all that blue smoke) but interesting. :mrgreen: Even I resemble that remark!!! :D

Take a moment and hop up to "Roll Call" and tells a little more about yourself and your smoking toys.

G'day to all. Just found this site a few days ago and it rocks. I'm from Sydney Australia and have been smoking for about 25 years. Started by digging a hole in the side of an earth bank, starting a fire at the base using gumleaves and wattle branches, and smoking the trout and eels we caught on camping trips. Then moved on to smoking in the chimney of my brick BBQ. Now I own a Brinkmann Gourmet(it was the last one in the store, you can't buy them here anymore) that I have had for a couple of years. Smoking in its purest form isn't very popular here, go figure, though people do throw a handful of chips in there kettle BBQs for the flavour. Gonna try the smoked meatloaf tomorrow. Hope its as good as it sounds. Can anyone give me some advice on smoking rabbit or kangaroo. They are both low in fat and pretty dry. Perhaps deer would be the equivalent? Anyway, great site, hope ya all have a good one.

welcome twistedroo glad to have you here. you brought up a point i have not thought of in a while. see im a transplant from ohio to texas and back up home we all used to eat rabbit all the time but down here you dont hear about it much.

let me get a hold of some friends back home and i will find out how to cook rabbit at least, if they use a mop or what temp to cook at.

as for kangaroo i wouldnt begin to even speculate.

in the mean time here is a link to some posts in this forum that discusses wild game and how to smoke.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewforum.php?f=25

maby try posting in there asking for advice since there is none on rabbit.

again glad to have you and for me (and most important) i cant wait to read some of your awsome downunder recipies :D

G'day buzzard, thanks for the welcome. I ended up doing a rabbit last week. Decided to keep it simple, so I brined it over night, gallon of water, half cup of sea salt, half cup of dark brown sugar, 2 tsp of dry mixed herbs, 1 tbs of garlic salt, 1 tbs worcestshire sauce and couple shakes of tabasco. Smoked it for a little over 3hrs using hickory. It was pretty windy so the temp varied a bit. Peaked at about 250f about 30 mins in then dropped to about 220f and was there abouts until the last 30 mins where it dropped under 200f. I decided not to use any sauces to see what it ended up like. Came out a nice bronze colour and wasn't as dry as I thought it would be. It was ok and "Her Indoors" reckons it tasted like smoked ham so I was pleased. I'm looking forward to some Ohio recipes.
Meantime I'll take the advice and post the question in the link.
Thanks again. Roo.

im glad it all worked out for you roo. brining is someting i have never done but need to explore, i hear good things about it. i just usually apply some rub and smoke it.

i havent heard from my sources in ohio but as soon as i do ill let you know. there usually good at replying quickly so its odd i havent heard from them yet.

talk to you soon

great site, I have learned so much since joining this site. So many great smokers out there, I have done some awesome chicken wings, ribs and am getting ready to try a brisket.

Greetings you all!
My brother Tim Smith told me about this site and I had to check it out. WOW! I am looking forward to swapping recipes, stories and know-how. I'm on an experiment today smoking an arm roast but I may be back on and off to check out what else' s going on.

Geez, Rodger I think that was the first welcome message for the site. I was probably number 10 or 12 to register. That would have been July of last year.

Cheers!

I didn't even join the forum until about may or june of this year. Was there another cajunsmoker before me? When I read that post it says Cajunsmoker,

---------------------- :?:

Even though you quoted it I read it as "srmonty". Something is amiss, here! How do you describe this one?
Puzzled

Howdy, my name is Bill from south Texas, found this site on a fluke, but all i have read really makes sense and sure sounds good. I have grilled for years but have just now started to smoke meats. Sure does taste great ( if done right) and hoping to learn alot from the folks here.

Heya, Bill!
It may be that you are here on a fluke but some of the greatest things known to man have been brought to light by a fluke!

And so it goes for our site. You will find that this is the friendliest and most informative site on the net. Our members span the gamut from never having smoked to being competition gurus. But here all are equal and everyone shares.

We like to see pictures of your efforts, both the good as well as the bad because we all learn from what the others post whether newbie or seasoned veteran.

So kick back, fill your glass and relax because you have a lot of reading to do here. Pick a topic which interests you and go from there.

Might I also suggest Jeff's Five Day Basic Smoking Course. You will find links to it throughout the site and it is well worth your time and it is absolutely free!

Adittionally, please find your way to the Roll Call and introduce yourself.

Cheers!

Thanks for the welcome. This looks great. I am called Dr Good and come from a no town district called Ilbilbie in Queensland, Aussie. Been smoking for most of this year, mostly home grown pork and sausage from our hobby farm. I use a converted refrigerator smoking mulberry over gas burner. Just completed two full shoulder hams. Other hobby is making and consuming home brew beers and spirits and fruit and vege growing as well as a few cattle and meat chickens. Thanks again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky