Weber Rotisserie duck, onion bombs and smoked peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Wanted to smoke a duck on the weber, not having a ton of experience on the kettle I kind of knew it might be challenging. Duck was brined for 24 hours in Oak ridge BBQ game changer brine that I added a half table spoon of cure #1 and a tea spoon of orange extract.
1.jpg

Dusted it with a homemade poultry rub, tied it off and added a few chunks of orange into the carcass.
2.jpg

Did a final dust with a bit of dirt rub and more SPOG then off for a spin with cherry chunks
3.jpg

I don't have a beer pole like gmc2003 gmc2003 so I used the beer pillar instead. At least the Rangers won tonight Chris, happy for you, even though I am an Islander fan...lol
4 beer pole.jpg

Now time for Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke onion bombs he posted and smoked peppers. Read that and knew that was going to be in my future wheel house of sides. Cored out the Vidalia

5.jpg

Sautéed the sausage with some of the cored onions and garlic
6.jpg

Added whipped cream cheese, rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis (Bonnie thought this added too much heat...not me), shredded cheddar, cumin, chili powder and black pepper
7.jpg

mixed up for the stuffing
8.jpg

More cheese on top of the onions, bell peppers and a few jalapenos.
9.jpg

Of course bacon on top and around
10.jpg

made a glaze of maple syrup, Grande Marnier, squeezed orange juice( and a chunk of orange), triple sec and allspice, reduced in a pan.

11.jpg

I will say the kettle got away from me on the duck cook flying to 400 deg. I was busy reorganizing a shed, putting together outdoor furniture and dying in the heat. It hit temp wayyyy tooo early and spent couple hours on warm in the oven until I could apply the glaze and broil for a couple minutes. It is dark but I did apply a bit of the dirt rub so it was not burnt.
12.jpg

peppers and onion out and chilling, I could make a meal out of these anytime.
13.jpg

Plated shot, the bit of cure added was really cool, I think chopsaw chopsaw gave me the idea for that? I need to dial in my mastering of temp control but still was a great meal.

plate.jpg

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 3
Added whipped cream cheese, rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis (Bonnie thought this added too much heat...not me)
The tomatoes do add a little heat, but I believe that it's just the right amount. It's not "Why did I eat THAT!!" hot, just a little. Also I forgot to mention in my post, I drained the tomatoes.

Very nice meal, looks great...

Looks good to me . Never had duck myself , but that looks like some good flavor on that bird .
I like the cure in the brine for poultry and some lemon extract . Did the orange flavor come through ?

The tomatoes do add a little heat, but I believe that it's just the right amount. It's not "Why did I eat THAT!!" hot, just a little. Also I forgot to mention in my post, I drained the tomatoes.

Very nice meal, looks great...
I did as well, also added in a little of the rendered duck fat.

Looks good to me . Never had duck myself , but that looks like some good flavor on that bird .
I like the cure in the brine for poultry and some lemon extract . Did the orange flavor come through ?
I think I needed to use more, but it might be overshadowed anyway by the glaze

Absolutely gorgeous meal Cliff!! Excellent job my friend on everything. I'd love to tear into that duck though. Only had it a couple times but it was fantastic. Gotta admit though, nothing against Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) and his beer pole but I like your beer pedestal much better. It'll hold a lot more beers which is what I'd need :emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Love
Reactions: clifish
Looks great from here, Cliff.
I am betting that duck skin got nice and crispy though.
Thanks, it was my only complaint is that I did not mange the fire very good in the beginning and I had to put it on warm in the oven. Probably was the wrond day (time wise) to do a kettle smoke, I had way too much going on.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Absolutely gorgeous meal Cliff!! Excellent job my friend on everything. I'd love to tear into that duck though. Only had it a couple times but it was fantastic. Gotta admit though, nothing against Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) and his beer pole but I like your beer pedestal much better. It'll hold a lot more beers which is what I'd need :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Yeah I have to agree on that. Appreciate the comments. I was also distracted from the cook working on the pond. The catfish below is approaching 3 feet I put it in the pond at 4".
lowfeeding_koi_MOV_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress.gif

Thats a whole lot of good eats right there Cliff. I wanna try duck this year and the bombs are already on the schedule at a later date.

Beer pedestal aye. I think I found a glass for that thar pedestal. How's this clifish clifish tx smoker tx smoker for a glass:

1653350117867.png

Point for sure
Chris

Thats a whole lot of good eats right there Cliff. I wanna try duck this year and the bombs are already on the schedule at a later date.

Beer pedestal aye. I think I found a glass for that thar pedestal. How's this clifish clifish tx smoker tx smoker for a glass:

View attachment 632667
Point for sure
Chris
might be enough for the first hour of the smoke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky