Weber Kettle Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WI_GameMeats

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Central WI
I've been reading consistently on this forum site for about a month now. I can say that there has been a learning curve but I am learning a lot already.

I am in the market for an electric smoker and will likely go with a generation 2.5 MES40 in the near future. Currently I am smoking all of my meats using the Weber 22in Kettle. My max volume of sausages/snack sticks/whatever is limited to roughly 5lbs.

I'm wondering if any of you gurus/tinkerers have modified or know of accessories to add space to the grill. Like I said, I will be getting a MES40 soon, but in the meantime, I'd like to increase space in the Weber.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!!

Yeah what Moto said, but I think a 22" grate will fit also. If even more height is needed then a couple of bricks can be used to raise the second grate up.

Chris

I don't because I keep my kettle's in the garage and have to carry them out into the backyard, but there are plenty out there that have.

Chris

I get what you mean, I do the same - carrying the kettle from the garage outside. My initial thought though was to build a "detachable side table" using some j hooks and brackets. Screwing the j hooks into the grill and brackets into the table. Having two legs on other side of the table. j hook

It sure does make me cringe thinking of drilling holes into my weber though...

I agree, I don't want to drill any holes in my Webers. I have a small wire table that I keep outside year round that I use for holding utensils and meat preparations such as foiling.

Chris

Kind of pricey , but might give you some ideas to build your own .
Well links not working , search for weber side table .

I get what you mean, I do the same - carrying the kettle from the garage outside. My initial thought though was to build a "detachable side table" using some j hooks and brackets. Screwing the j hooks into the grill and brackets into the table. Having two legs on other side of the table. j hook

I fabbed this in the mid 90's,still going strong.The frame is made out of 3/4" thin wall square tubing and folds under where it holds the Joe.I bent some 16 Ga for the hooks that are twisted to fit the radius of the kettle for attachment.5/4 PT decking radiused to the 2 kettle bowls and bullnosed on the top edges.The Joe is held in place/drops into more 16 Ga that is bent to the radius to hold it by the underside of the lip of the bowl.It can be taken down and set up very quickly with some shims underneath the legs appropriate to the terrain.
When smoking on kettle or WSM,the Joe is used to grill "pacifiers" and is also used to bank coals/start a fresh batch for long cooks.Very handy...
kimg0608-jpg.378799

Reactions: WI_GameMeats
I fabbed this in the mid 90's,still going strong.The frame is made out of 3/4" thin wall square tubing and folds under where it holds the Joe.I bent some 16 Ga for the hooks that are twisted to fit the radius of the kettle for attachment.5/4 PT decking radiused to the 2 kettle bowls and bullnosed on the top edges.The Joe is held in place/drops into more 16 Ga that is bent to the radius to hold it by the underside of the lip of the bowl.It can be taken down and set up very quickly with some shims underneath the legs appropriate to the terrain.
When smoking on kettle or WSM,the Joe is used to grill "pacifiers" and is also used to bank coals/start a fresh batch for long cooks.Very handy...
kimg0608-jpg.378799

That’s a sweet setup!!

Did you weld the frame? Also when you get a chance could you send a picture of the hooks that you bent.

That’s a sweet setup!!

Did you weld the frame? Also when you get a chance could you send a picture of the hooks that you bent.
Thanks.
Yes,I designed and built the whole thing.You must not be able to zoom in enough to see the crappy welds that were done in a rush so the boss wouldn't see.:cool:
I will see if I can get a decent pic tonight.Who knows,maybe it'll turn out good in the dark with the flash.If not,I'll try to get one tomorrow.

Flash on some pics,not on others.
KIMG0612.jpg
KIMG0613.jpg
KIMG0614.jpg

Included this pic if you were interested in the Joe mount. There were no kettles harmed in the construction,and or use of this product.

KIMG0615.jpg

Included this pic if you were interested in the Joe mount. There were no kettles harmed in the construction,and or use of this product.

Interesting build. I’ll be building something similar for sure. Does the lid have any issues closing with the metal hooks being on the kettle/joe?

The Deuce-Deuce lid sits on the hooks fine,they had to be fine tuned when built and if they take a knock in transport.Nothing a pair of Channellocks can't handle.Very seldom will a puff of smoke waft from the kettle/lid juncture,only when there is a downdraft caused by wind.So no,it doesn't fit tight without the fitment of a gasket,never bothered.The Joe lid is not affected at all as the kettle is held up/in place by the bent plates that fit under the rolled top lip.The holes are in those plates because they were floor plates for Hollow Metal door frames.The frame is sized so the plates welded on the inside fit in the channel/rolled lip of the Joe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky