• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Weber Kettle or ProQ Frontier for Occasional Smoking

Joined Jun 9, 2020
I currently don't have any BBQ at all and I've been keen to get into some low and slow meat smoking. I've narrowed my decision down to either buying a ProQ Frontier Smoker or a Weber kettle grill.

The majority of its use will be for fast grilling, hence why I'm considering a Weber kettle, but I'd love to also start smoking meats. My question is whether just using a Weber kettle is a good enough piece of kit to get me into smoking. Both are more or less the same price, so that doesn't play a part in the decision. I've tried to do plenty of research on whether a Weber makes a good enough smoker, but have found various answers.

I'm sure at the end of the day I have to choose whether to sacrifice smoking capability or grilling capability - but I'm hoping someone can help me make my mind up!

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
I've got three smokers. My Weber kettle outfitted with the Vortex and Slow-n-Sear is so versatile I hardly ever use either of the other two lately. Can cook a perfect steak in three minutes, or Dino ribs in 6-7 hours, and everything in between. I'd go with a Weber. RAY

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
I've got three smokers. My Weber kettle outfitted with the Vortex and Slow-n-Sear is so versatile I hardly ever use either of the other two lately. Can cook a perfect steak in three minutes, or Dino ribs in 6-7 hours, and everything in between. I'd go with a Weber. RAY
Way to go Ray!! As I was reading his post you're the first person I thought about and was gonna recommend he contact you. You beat me to the punch....and you still have me considering adding yet another cooker to my arsenal. The stuff you're turning out with that Weber kettle is nothing short of amazing and a great example for others.

Robert

5GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 12, 2018
Weber kettle for the win. There is NOTHING it can't do. If you do go that direction, do as Ray has and go ahead and buy a vortex. It's a game changer.

Dave

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
I love my Weber 22" with a slow N sear. So versatile. You can't go wrong. You'll learn a lot and have fun producing greats meals. Just did a chuck roast burnt end smoke over 6 hours.

Joined Jun 9, 2020
Well that’s made it much easier than I’d hoped for!
Thanks everyone for your advice - I can’t wait to get it fired up and get cookin!

GATOR240

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 15, 2017
Definately a Weber kettle, and while you're at it get a vortex. My kettle will soon start to overtake my electric smoker in my starting lineup of smokers.

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Well that’s made it much easier than I’d hoped for!
Thanks everyone for your advice - I can’t wait to get it fired up and get cookin!
Pretty helpful bunch of folks here with a ton of experience they're willing to share. Can't wait to see what kind of goodies you get going. Please remember to take pics and post them though. The rule here is: no pics, never happened :emoji_wink: Welcome aboard!!

Robert

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Depending on how much food your planning on cooking at one time. You may want to look into the Weber 26" kettle. It has a ton more real estate.

Chris

SlickRockStones

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 12, 2018
IM with GMC2003. If you can swing a 26” with a medium Vortex you’ll be able to do it all. Longer snake runs for LnS. More room for indirect rib slabs. And way more room for Vortex chicken.

JWFokker

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 5, 2019
From what I've seen online, the ProQ Frontier is junk. Go with the Weber. They last decades if you don't leave them out in the weather.

wild west

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2016
I have both plus a couple other smokers and a gas grill. If I was to only have one it would be the kettle. The pro q is sold as napolean apollo here in canada is is a very good quality smoker ( a close comparison is the wsm) and you can also use it as a grill useing the bottom section by itself. The frontier is pretty small so if you choose the pro q consider the excel instead. The kettle and the pro q are both easy to control temps but I find the kettle easier to set up and clean up after use. Add all the different accessories available for the kettle and it's the hands down winner.

timberjet

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 29, 2010
20200531_183503.jpg

Weber kettle and cajun bandit stacker with thermoworks controller setup. Super awesome do it all and do it right setup.

timberjet

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 29, 2010
I forgot to add that the stacker has 2 grates and diffuser plate so you have 200% plus of the normal space you would have. I also have the ballistic griddle to cover all the bases.

b-one

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 31, 2014
The Weber kettle is a great unit! You can get a rotisserie to use on them as well.

F45FAAE4-0E95-439F-9037-4D4E38283E1D.jpeg

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
Nice setup, timberjet.
So...do you recommend that jalapeno honey whiskey? What's the proof?

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.