Weber Kettle or ProQ Frontier for Occasional Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Egan the Vegan

Original poster
Jun 9, 2020
I currently don't have any BBQ at all and I've been keen to get into some low and slow meat smoking. I've narrowed my decision down to either buying a ProQ Frontier Smoker or a Weber kettle grill.

The majority of its use will be for fast grilling, hence why I'm considering a Weber kettle, but I'd love to also start smoking meats. My question is whether just using a Weber kettle is a good enough piece of kit to get me into smoking. Both are more or less the same price, so that doesn't play a part in the decision. I've tried to do plenty of research on whether a Weber makes a good enough smoker, but have found various answers.

I'm sure at the end of the day I have to choose whether to sacrifice smoking capability or grilling capability - but I'm hoping someone can help me make my mind up!

I've got three smokers. My Weber kettle outfitted with the Vortex and Slow-n-Sear is so versatile I hardly ever use either of the other two lately. Can cook a perfect steak in three minutes, or Dino ribs in 6-7 hours, and everything in between. I'd go with a Weber. RAY

Reactions: Egan the Vegan
I've got three smokers. My Weber kettle outfitted with the Vortex and Slow-n-Sear is so versatile I hardly ever use either of the other two lately. Can cook a perfect steak in three minutes, or Dino ribs in 6-7 hours, and everything in between. I'd go with a Weber. RAY

Way to go Ray!! As I was reading his post you're the first person I thought about and was gonna recommend he contact you. You beat me to the punch....and you still have me considering adding yet another cooker to my arsenal. The stuff you're turning out with that Weber kettle is nothing short of amazing and a great example for others.

Robert

I love my Weber 22" with a slow N sear. So versatile. You can't go wrong. You'll learn a lot and have fun producing greats meals. Just did a chuck roast burnt end smoke over 6 hours.

Reactions: Egan the Vegan
Well that’s made it much easier than I’d hoped for!
Thanks everyone for your advice - I can’t wait to get it fired up and get cookin!

Well that’s made it much easier than I’d hoped for!
Thanks everyone for your advice - I can’t wait to get it fired up and get cookin!

Pretty helpful bunch of folks here with a ton of experience they're willing to share. Can't wait to see what kind of goodies you get going. Please remember to take pics and post them though. The rule here is: no pics, never happened :emoji_wink: Welcome aboard!!

Robert

Depending on how much food your planning on cooking at one time. You may want to look into the Weber 26" kettle. It has a ton more real estate.

Chris

IM with GMC2003. If you can swing a 26” with a medium Vortex you’ll be able to do it all. Longer snake runs for LnS. More room for indirect rib slabs. And way more room for Vortex chicken.

From what I've seen online, the ProQ Frontier is junk. Go with the Weber. They last decades if you don't leave them out in the weather.

I have both plus a couple other smokers and a gas grill. If I was to only have one it would be the kettle. The pro q is sold as napolean apollo here in canada is is a very good quality smoker ( a close comparison is the wsm) and you can also use it as a grill useing the bottom section by itself. The frontier is pretty small so if you choose the pro q consider the excel instead. The kettle and the pro q are both easy to control temps but I find the kettle easier to set up and clean up after use. Add all the different accessories available for the kettle and it's the hands down winner.

Reactions: Fueling Around
If you can swing a 26” with a medium Vortex you’ll be able to do it all. Longer snake runs for LnS. More room for indirect rib slabs.
I'll second that .
20191006_111716.jpg

Reactions: SlickRockStones
I forgot to add that the stacker has 2 grates and diffuser plate so you have 200% plus of the normal space you would have. I also have the ballistic griddle to cover all the bases.

Nice setup, timberjet.
So...do you recommend that jalapeno honey whiskey? What's the proof?

Plenty of room for improvement, but not too bad for my first smoke!

Attachments

• A828A7E3-7863-480C-BF29-ECF4419F923D.jpeg
    A828A7E3-7863-480C-BF29-ECF4419F923D.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky