water stuffer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
i have seen water stuffer's advertised,has anyone used one and if so how did you like it compared to the hand cranked stuffers ?

I haven't used one but I had to rule it out for my setup. Though I like the idea.

My issues were that it didn't stuff a large enough batch, I need 20 pound minimum.
Also I didn't have decent access to a water source and didn't want to run a hose through my living areas. I don't know if the sink would cause enough pressure to stuff and again the thing about not wanting to run hoses and water through my living areas.

If you don't have those limitations then I think it may be a good fit :)

Water stuffers are more for commercial use. Think 20-40 pounds,
foot operated valve. Uses local water pressure. Make a ton in short time.

RG

we make 50-100 lbs on a regular basis ...makes me wonder if i should try one

the Dakota is the one i have been looking at and i totally love the "idea" of it
the design simplicity is a thing of beauty
but spending $ 150.00 for a couple of bucks worth of plastic is kinda hard to swallow
and i have the perfect set up for it , i have 6 feet of stainless steel counter top that would
be the perfect place for it near my kitchen sink

I'm wondering if all the folks here are all thinking of the same thing..... Are you asking about Dakotah 5 and 9 lb household water stuffers or commercial "hydraulic stuffers"?

I had a 5 lb Dakotah stuffer and didn't like it. In fact I disliked it a lot. But others, including the SMF member I sold it too really like them. There is at least one well documented thread here on building one.

While I haven't seen all that many hydraulic stuffers I've not yet seen one that held less that 20 lbs although I suppose they might exist.

I've seen hydraulic stuffers with self contained oil filled hydraulic systems and ones with connections for tap water hoses but for the most part hey have been the self contained ones and plunger speed had been controlled by a foot pedal switch or a knee switch. And I don't remember seeing even a basic new one for less that $2K....

If I came across a good used 20 lb or so hydraulic stuffer at a reasonable price and had the coin I'd all over it like bad rash.....

the 9 lb one is the one that i have seen, i am so temped but it looks so cheap, to be honest i'm afraid to buy the dang thing ...lol

Last edited:
I don't follow the prices so I can't fully vouch for the sale price being a "good" price but Meat Processing Products has the 9 lb one for $120......

I have the Dakota 9 and love it. I don’t use water I use my compressor, dialed down. Easy one person operation once you figure out the pressure, and cleanup can’t be any worse than an upright.

Everyone I know loves the Dakota. Easy clean up. We process lots of meat every year. 1 cow,1 hog and 4 deer. We never had any problems. We burned out lots of grinders.

what are some the problems with them and how dependable are they ?
in a couple of weeks i HAVE to buy a new stuffer and just don't want to spend money on something if there are known problems with it

are they really as good as they seem to be i guess is my primary concern
if they are why aren't more people using them ?

are they really as good as they seem to be i guess is my primary concern
if they are why aren't more people using them ?

Personally, my dislike had as much to do with the layout of our old small kitchen which required us to use the stuffer on an island and have hoses blocking the aisle as it did with anything else. Even now, with a much bigger kitchen and an aircraft carrier sized island I don't want to deal with hoses......but that's me....it's an individual choice.

I suspect that you are entering the paralysis of analysis. You've gotten testimonials from happy owners, asked about possible issues, got the answer you sought and you got a name of a seller at what appears to be a very good price........

Lance

Reactions: Medina Joe
I suspect that you are entering the paralysis of analysis

i think your right about that , perhaps i am over thinking it

I suspect that you are entering the paralysis of analysis

i think your right about that , perhaps i am over thinking it

Run a hose from where the water will come from and to where you will setup and work. Also if you must setup the area I would suggest that as well. This will let you know what you are working with and if your are/setup is even feasible for a water stuffer, if not then you can move on to the next best option :)

its 7 feet from my kitchen facet to my stainless steel counter top so i am pretty sure its doable
and i think that i have decided to give the water stuffer a shot .( my wife loves the idea of the water stuffer )

one thing I dont see in any of these comments on a water stuffer.... a globe or other type of valve to really fine tune the piston speed. ball valves are not really designed for throttling so I was thinking some type of throttling valve would be a must for a real 1 person operation, but I dont own one so I am just speculating. I would also think that skipping the pvc valves and going to brass valves would be a little more robust. the pvc valves are ok, but brass are much more reliable and not much more money when you are talking about 1/2 or 3/4 inch valves.

if anybody is using these on a well system and not a municipal water source, how does the speed react when the well pump kicks in? does the meat start shooting out to quickly or is more gradual and manageable?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky