Water or no water?

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by moses, Jul 28, 2013.

1. moses

moses Meat Mopper

I have always thought that putting water in the water pan provides moisture causing your meat to be juicier and less dry. Reading a few post here and there I might be wrong. What does the majority do, water or no water?

2. davidhef88

davidhef88 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Sand.

3. av8tor

av8tor Meat Mopper

I did a first time cook on my WSM with no water and it turned out great. I have been reading up on Harry Woo from the Pitmasters and he like Myron is a higher temp cooked (275º) and uses no water in his WSM's so I gave it a try.
    These were my first ribs on my new WSM by the way.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  4. millerk0486

millerk0486 Meat Mopper

I have heard both opinions on the matter. I have always used water in my WSM. I think it also helps in maintaining the lower temps in my smoker too.

5. moses

moses Meat Mopper

I have always used water in fear that my meat would dry out. I'll give no water a try next time or should I do no water and add sand?

6. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

7. glocksrock

glocksrock Smoking Fanatic

I never use water in my MES 40 as I use a amazen pellet smoker, and the use of water in the water pan is not recommended, and I've had great results from everything I've cooked. I don't think it makes much difference in the quality of food, but using water does help your temps recover faster.

8. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

9. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

The water acts as a heat sink. In other words it absorbs some of the energy from the fire and keeps the smoker from getting too hot. There's a lot of debate over whether or not the evaporated water moistens the meat. Personally , I don't think it does. I use a foil wrapped brick in my water pan (in my weber smoky mountain cooker) as a heat sink and this moderates the temp in the smoker and my meat still comes out nice and moist. But you do need the heat sink , so if you minus the water you gotta add the sand or brick or some kind of material to fill that need. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013