wants elgin sausage recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello all
I had some feelers out on this Elgin sausage thing and a fellow worker of mine who happens to be German finally got back to me and ....guess what???
His butcher says that you cannot get that sausage in Canada.
He did say that the only place he knew of to get it was ..Yes Sir you guessed it........Elgin Texas. and he can't get any info on the recipe.
Oh well...

I do not know if this will help. But it is German sausage recipe I found on lets-make-sausage dot com. While searching for the recipe, found the link on Texas Forum I got to.
[h3]Recipe[/h3]
reddivider.gif

• 5 lbs ground beef
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon fine ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons whole mustard seed
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder (I really like Coleman's)
  • 1 teaspoon finely ground dry culinary bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 2 large pinches ground cloves
  • 1 cup ice water
    • 1 level teaspoon Prague powder or Instacure #1

1. Put your ground beef into a large mixing bowl. If you grind your own, use the medium disc on your sausage grinder. You will find it easier to grind the suet if you first cut it into 1 inch cubes and then refrigerate it for about half an hour to firm it up.
    2. Combine the spices and cure in a small container and mix with the 1 cup of ice water.
    3. Pour the spice, cure and water combination into the ground meat and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
    4. Stuff the meat and spice mixture into 35 mm beef or collagen casings, and link into convenient lengths (I like about 6 inch links)
    5. When ready for the smoke house, apply about 3 hours of smoke for best flavor.
    6. You can certainly make this as a fresh beef sausage recipe too. In that case, omit the cure from the mix, stuff the links, and refrigerate or freeze immediately.

2 1/2-lb ground pork
2 1/2-lb ground beef
2-tsp dried sage
4-tsp crushed red pepper
4-tsp cayenne
2-tsp hot paprika
2-tsp ground cumin
2-tsp dried sweet basil
2-tsp anise seed
2-tsp dried oregano
1 1/2-tbsp salt
1-tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1-cup cold water

I do not know if this will help. But it is German sausage recipe I found on lets-make-sausage dot com. While searching for the recipe, found the link on Texas Forum I got to.

[h3]Recipe[/h3]

reddivider.gif

• 5 lbs ground beef
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon fine ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons whole mustard seed
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder (I really like Coleman's)
  • 1 teaspoon finely ground dry culinary bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 2 large pinches ground cloves

• 1 cup ice water
    • 1 level teaspoon Prague powder or Instacure #1

1. Put your ground beef into a large mixing bowl. If you grind your own, use the medium disc on your sausage grinder. You will find it easier to grind the suet if you first cut it into 1 inch cubes and then refrigerate it for about half an hour to firm it up.
    2. Combine the spices and cure in a small container and mix with the 1 cup of ice water.
    3. Pour the spice, cure and water combination into the ground meat and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
    4. Stuff the meat and spice mixture into 35 mm beef or collagen casings, and link into convenient lengths (I like about 6 inch links)
    5. When ready for the smoke house, apply about 3 hours of smoke for best flavor.
    6. You can certainly make this as a fresh beef sausage recipe too. In that case, omit the cure from the mix, stuff the links, and refrigerate or freeze immediately.

Palladini,

Tried this out this weekend. I went with three pounds of ground beef and two pounds ground pork. Very tasty end product. Thanks for sharing.

Beer Joint Sausage

Vencil Mares of the Taylor Café learned how to make sausage at Southside Market in Elgin. This is a Bohemian Czech sausage recipe from Central Texas. 

If you cook sausage too quickly, you render the fat out of the “batter” of meat and fat inside the casing. This causes the sausage to squirt out all its fat. For best results, set the batter by cooking the sausage very slowly at first. Once the batter is set, you can cook the sausage over high heat.
  • 6 pounds beef rump roast or beef trimmings
  • 4 pounds fatty Boston butt pork roast
  • ¼ cup salt
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne
  • Medium hog casings (available at butcher shops) 
Vencil Mares’s bohunk sausage
with beans served at the bar at Taylor Café
Photo by O. Rufus Lovett from Barbecue Crossroads  
Coarsely grind the beef rump and pork butt together through the ¼-inch plate of a meat grinder. In a large bowl, mix the ground meat with the salt, garlic, pepper, and cayenne. Knead the mixture with your hands until everything is well blended. Don’t rush the mixing—it takes a long time.

In a small skillet, heat a little oil. Form a meatball-size piece of the mixture into a small patty and fry it. Taste for seasonings, and adjust to your taste.

Soak the hog casings in lukewarm water. Stuff the meat mixture into the hog casings with a sausage stuffer or a pastry bag, and tie into 4- to 6-inch links. The sausage will keep for 3–4 days refrigerated, and up to 2 months frozen.

When you’re ready to cook the sausages, place them in a pan of warm water on the stove and slowly bring the heat up to 140°F to set the “batter.” Set up your smoker for indirect heat with a water pan. Sear the links over hot coals for 3 minutes on each side, or until nicely brown. Move them to indirect heat over a drip pan and smoke for 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Makes 10 pounds.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky