wants elgin sausage recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Larry,

Just wondering if you ever got a recipe for elgin sausage?
I'm a big fan of the elgin sausage and have been looking for a recipe
as well.

Joe

Hi Larry,

Not real sue what elgin sausage is as I've never tried it. However if it comes packaged at the store see if it has a packaging lable. Most foods with additives such as sausage are required to list ingredients on their packaging (just in case someone would be allergic to something they put in). If this is the case see what they're putting in it and you may be able to come up with a recipe of your own that gets really close. Obviously you won't have the amounts and cook times but I'm guessing that they're pretty close to other types of sausage. Don't know if this helps any but good luck breaking the code.

Lady J
Elgin is a place in TX and the sausage is sold in local markets and BBQ joints. Very good stuff and they seen to be tight lipped about the recipe.
Jim

Well I gotta tell ya. That must be a local delight because I searched and searched today for a recipe for Elgin sausage and couldn't find a one.
I still have one more spot to check and hopefully we can come up with a recipe.
wish me luck and I will post the results later

Sorry guys
I checked my personal reference book and can't find it.
Is it linked or is it like a slab, cased or uncased,Breakfast type sausage????

Hello All.

I live 30 minutes from Elgin! The closest thing they will give you to a recipe is the list of the ingredients. There are actually 2 types Elgin sauages, Elgin hot sausague from the southside market and Myers Elgin sausage from Myers meat market.

Southside market is the more popular/widely distributed one.

According to some of the old timers a it's an old world german recipe, they talk like it's something everyone has or rather had.

Maybe a search done by ingredients might net you what your looking for.

Just an idea anyway. sorry I'm not any more help then you already had.

INGREDIENTS: Beef, Beef Tripe, Cereal (Corn, Wheat and Rye Flour), Water, Salt, Spices, Sodium Nitrite, Dextrose, Pork Casings and a variety of spices/condiments; coriander, nutmeg, cloves, garlic, vinegar, mace, pepper, chili pepper, pistachio nuts.

pistachio nuts... ok thats a new one on me!! What the heck if it works right! :lol:

Well people, looks like Ashton came up with the ingredients. Thank you!!
Now all we gotta do is figure out how much of what spices and ratio of fat to pork or beef....sounds like a challenge because according to the Myers site it came to texas with the original recipe owner in around the 1800's from Germany ....... so I don't think the're gonna give up any info on that secret recipe. The original recipe is probably in a Brinks Vault some where.

yo dudes and dudettes,
first things first.
hello to joe d and gremlin and ashton.

seeiing that there was beef tripe in the formulation,
i remember seeing a TEXAS HOT GUTS
sausage recipe some where.

maybe i will find many simularities or atleast a place to start.
thanks for the info

Found this article on it too..

Unlike most sausages, the Elgin specialty is not composed of pork, but beef products. Plate, a piece of meat located just below the ribs, tripe and beef liver constitute the bulk of the sausage, but spices, water and pork intestine used to hold the sausage together all come together in a recipe known only to the owner and his son.

Hey Joe
maybe this will help you I got this of the net and it has a lot of the same ingredients as in the posts and it looks interesting
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 pounds Pork
1 pound Tripe or chitterlings
2 Garlic cloves
3 Bay leaves
2 large Onions
1 tablespoon Salt (not iodized)
1 tablespoon Pepper
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Chili pepper
1/2 teaspoon Ground mace
1/2 teaspoon Ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon Ground allspice
1 tablespoon Minced thyme
1 tablespoon Minced marjoram
1 tablespoon Minced parsley

Pork should be approx 2 lbs fat and 2 lbs lean [usually Boston butt] The tripe
is the inner lining of pork stomach and chitterlings (largest intestine) may
be used instead. You can use an extra pound of pork instead of the
tripe/chitterlings.

Chop, do not grind the meat. Mix with seasonings. Stuff into casings. Age at
least overnight and then smoke several hours using hickory, hackberry or ash.
(Do not use pine.) Throw anything sweet, such as cane sugar or syrup, raw
sugar, molassess, sugar cane or brown sugar on the wood before lighting.

Thanks Gremlin, I think Larry was looking for the recipe. looks like i'll be trying that also.. so many choices, so little time .. lol .. Gremlin, the wife and I will be in Canada from the 4th to the 11th or so.. not in Toronto though.. we'll be at the jazz fest in montreal.. we've been going for the past 4 years now.. have you ever gone to the Jazz fest?

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky