• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Wanting to have a go at dry aging

thesmokist

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 5, 2014
I've read through some of the threads here on dry aging and I am wanting to give it a try because rib roasts are on sale here right now for 7.99 a lb!! And I figure hey at that price if I screw it up it won't hurt so bad haha!!
Any my question is about the smell. I do not have a dedicated fridge (yet) for my meat experiments so I am going to have to do this in the one in the kitchen and I wanted to ask to those who have done this am I going piss off the wife by stinking up the kitchen?

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Dry aging beef shouldn't stink up the fridge. Your beef might however pick up flavors of other stuff that's in your fridge.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
After about 30-35 days there will be a distinct odor from the meat, but it didn't seem to hurt anything else in the fridge. It's not a bad smell, it's just a different smell. Just make sure there is plenty of air circulation around the roast, and put it on a drying rack so air can get underneath it too. Once you have a dry aged steak, it's hard to go back to just a steak.

Good luck!

Al

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.