Walk-in Smokehouse in Progress

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If it were me, I'd use moldicide in the space prior to sealing it up. But I live in Louisiana and humidity and mold are a big issue. May not be the case for you, but being that it will be a walk in cooler, sweating in the wall might be an issue....

Any particular moldicide you’d recommend? I’m not that familiar with anything other than bleach. Where I live in Texas is very hot and humid as well.

Gotcha! I’m glad you found that one at HD. The one I found doing a quick web search is about $100 a gallon. Which I imagine is still cheap insurance.

Just ordered 2 gallons from Amazon....it’ll be here Tuesday. I think I may spray the foam insulation boards as well. And the back side of what ever material I decide to go with for the interior walls. And attic side of the ceiling..... maybe I should order more. Haha

Last edited:
695BBDA0-D95C-4FD5-A00D-B155F2294B2D.jpeg
3652F70D-ADF0-476B-9A45-EB5168DC0709.jpeg
4B3EE193-C43D-4843-9C54-A8FAB5B53BC5.jpeg

I’m pretty sure this is part of what heaven looks like for me! Can’t wait to try aging meat myself.

Dry aging is the process where beef carcasses or primal cuts are hanged and aged for 28 to 55 d under controlling environment conditions in a refrigerated room with 0° to 4 °C and with relative humidity of 75 to 80 %.May 19, 2016

RElATivE HUMidiTy
one of the greatest questions concerning
dry aging parameters is what relative
humidity should be used to store products.
relative humidity is important because, if it
is too high, spoilage bacteria can grow and
result in off-odors and possible off-flavors.
If relative humidity is too low, excess product
shrinkage will occur.
There are a number of relative humidity
parameters reported in scientific literature.
Campbell et al. (2001) dry-aged beef in a
cooler with 75% relative humidity. Parrish
et al. (1991) used a range of 80 to 85%
relative humidity in their study, and Warren
and Kastner (1992) stored products in a
cooler with a relative humidity of 78 ± 3%.
Smith (2007) stored dry aged product in a
cooler with 83 ± 11% relative humidity, and
Ahnström et al. (2006) used a cooler with a
relative humidity of 87 ± 2.6%. There are no
published studies that have compared the
effects of different relative humidity levels
on dry-aged beef, and it appears the studies
in this area have used a relative humidity of
approximately 80% with a considerable range
around that number.

I read that report also. I thought it was interesting that “There are no published studies that have compared the effects of relative humidity levels on dry-aged beef, and it appears the studies in this area have used a relative humidity of approximately 80% with a considerable range around that number.”

Excerpt- Once a piece of beef has been selected as adequate for dry aging, the beef is hung in a refrigerated room with temperatures maintained between 32 and 39 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 to 4 degrees Celsius and humidity is controlled to ensure freshness. The preferred humidity setting varies from 50 – 85%, according to individual preference, but usually is set closer to 60%. The recommended air flow is 0.5 – 2 m/s or 1.6 – 6.6 ft/s. to ensure optimal weight and trim loss during the aging process. Once you learn how to age steak properly you will know how imperative it is to control the temperature, humidity, and air flow.

And another one- Beef that makes the cut is hung in temperature and humidity controlled lockers for anywhere from two weeks to two months. Temperature and humidity are vital factors in dry aging. Freezing temperatures stop the enzymes responsible for tenderization from working their magic, but the warmer the locker is, the more risk there is for the meat to spoil. Humidity, which can increase or reduce the speed of moisture loss, factors into the amount of useable meat at the end of the aging period. Humid air can slow moisture loss, but also creates an environment more hospitable to unwanted microbes. The sweet spot for temperature and humidity usually falls between 0 and 4 degrees Celsius and 50 to 85% humidity, but it can vary depending on the vendor.

I’m still hoping I’ll hear back from one of the three I reached out to in New York. Would definitely cut down on the trial and error period. Hopefully!

Thanks for the input daveomak!

Last edited:
D9F1255A-2E67-4CD9-9C7E-6AA0A3440032.jpeg
0179EDA6-96E6-45AC-AD90-0F09FC8B7A8B.jpeg
So today I started sealing seams, gaps, etc., also put in the blocking support between the top plate and top chord of the truss. When I stepped back I couldn’t really tell I had done anything so I added more cedar!

After putting way too much thought into what I will use for the interior walls I’ve decided, as of this moment, to use 1/2” backer board and then 1x6 tongue and groove over that. Subject to change but it sounds like a plan for now. haha

Finally got a short (4 hours) break in the weather yesterday and was able to get the project dried in. Just barely. Got the paper on the deck and it started to rain again.

E3EE8CBF-E9CA-45FC-85D8-C0E83E7351C7.jpeg
3F1FAF49-16D4-47C0-8976-FB6876A07394.jpeg
1791B69D-A679-4DD4-9F85-8DC2725E5B6C.jpeg
F12C3F84-EAF8-4B96-81FC-BE8535DC8DDF.jpeg

This afternoon I put the siding on the skinning rack side and installed the breaker box.
0AB612CF-9849-4ACC-8423-E025E754A2D8.jpeg

Then I installed LED lights on the sink and skinning sides.
7AAE3408-E410-4089-A122-3DA97C10B2EB.jpeg
7C587F6E-7C27-41F8-8FCB-AE3700DF136C.jpeg

Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day so I’m planning on running wire and waterline, mount the on-demand water heater, and mount the winch for skinning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky