Vortex ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

olecrosseyes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 16, 2007
Hawkeye State, DSM
I read most everyone starts a "chimney" of charcoal and dump it into the vortex.

My question is why not start the charcoal in it? 
th_violent5.gif

The only difference that I see is it is a cone as opposed to cylindrical.

It will still get as much air with it placed on the charcoal fire grate, wouldn't it? 
33.gif

I fully understand tasting gasoline! But, can't you put a wad of paper in the bottom then fill it? You should be able to light it either with extra paper hanging out from under the edges or at least with the use of the long nosed lighter to sneak it through the grill spaces to under the vortex?

I have done both methods...and at least in my experience...it seems to take forever to get all the coals lit when lighting in the actual vortex.  I have used both a starter cube and paper and I feel like there is just not enough oxygen for the flame to burn as strong which causes the longer lighting time.  The clearance at the bottom of the chimney allows the starter cube for example to burn strong for a long time.

Thanks, I don't own one but was considering the purchase of one.

You know how a thought will pop into your head and ask your self,,

"Self" you say, "Why wouldn't this work?" 
45.gif

Then in comes worktoghr and he says to me,

"I have done both methods...and at least in my experience...it seems to take forever to get all the coals lit when lighting in the actual vortex.  I have used both a starter cube and paper and I feel like there is just not enough oxygen for the flame to burn as strong which causes the longer lighting time.  The clearance at the bottom of the chimney allows the starter cube for example to burn strong for a long time."

Then self replies,

"Thanks work! I knew there had to be a known reason because If I had thought if it, I'm sure someone else has already done it!" 
241.png

Thanks, I don't own one but was considering the purchase of one.

You know how a thought will pop into your head and ask your self,,

"Self" you say, "Why wouldn't this work?" 
45.gif

Then in comes worktoghr and he says to me,

"I have done both methods...and at least in my experience...it seems to take forever to get all the coals lit when lighting in the actual vortex.  I have used both a starter cube and paper and I feel like there is just not enough oxygen for the flame to burn as strong which causes the longer lighting time.  The clearance at the bottom of the chimney allows the starter cube for example to burn strong for a long time."

Then self replies,

"Thanks work! I knew there had to be a known reason because If I had thought if it, I'm sure someone else has already done it!" 
241.png

Hahaha I have those kind of questions pop into my head all the time.  And you are right, in most cases someone on this board has the answer.

You will really enjoy the vortex.  It is worth it in my opinion on its ability to make chicken unlike any you've ever had on a kettle.  Wings, breaded chicken, kettle "fried" chicken, even whole spatchcocked chicken.  

I have only used the chimney once to start mine.I used the weber cubes or Strike A Fire sticks

Richie 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky