Vortex Ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
The other day I fought my way to the back of the freezer and pulled out a nice ribeye steak, happened to be the last one cut off of the boneless roast so it was just a hair shy of 1&1/2" thick like the rest. After thawing in the fridge for a couple of days it was ready to go, and so was I. Seasoned with S & P I started a chimney of coals on the Weber for the Vortex and once that was lit started up I got some zukes with onions and shrooms & onions in butter going on the stove.
DSCN2046.JPG

Took about 20 minutes for the coals to be red hot to the top of the chimney. Filled up the Vortex and put on the grill, steak right over the middle of the Vortex for 60 seconds, then flipped for one minute on the other side.
DSCN2048.JPG

Brought the ribeye inside to rest while I finished up a glass of whisky, then sliced it and plated the steak up with some country taters I had on hand, zukes and onions, and the shroom medley.
DSCN2049.JPG

Poured a nice glass of cab and sat down to dinner. The steak was cooked up exactly how I like them, nice char on the outside and rare in the middle, and after cleaning my plate was all set for a little food coma nap. Thanks for lookin' in! RAY

Looks great, Ray! Steak is perfectly cooked, and that plate I could inhale in a second. It only took 2 minutes to cook that Steak? WOW! Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Reactions: sawhorseray
Looks good Ray.

Thanks JL, and thank you for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Looks great, Ray! Steak is perfectly cooked, and that plate I could inhale in a second. It only took 2 minutes to cook that Steak? WOW! Thanks for sharing. Mike

Thanks Mike! Yeah, isn't that something! This is the second time I've tried this out and I'm thrilled with the results, it's my new go-to. Thanks for the Like Mike, I appreciate it. RAY

Heck yea Ray. You gotta love that Vortex. Great looking plate! Dave

Thanks Dave! I do love my Vortex, been using it about 3-4 times a week for all kinds of cooks on the Weber. I've got a SnS also but if I had to choose only one it'd be the Vortex. Thank you for the Like Dave, I do appreciate it. RAY

That Ribeye looks great Ray! Crazy you cooked that thing in two minutes and its perfect doneness. That vortex puts out some pretty tasty looking stuff.

Thanks for that John! The Vortex sure took away all the guesswork for me, 3 minutes, 4 a side, not anymore. If you flip the vortex wide side up there'd be enough room to do two at once that way. Thank you for the Like John, I do appreciate it. RAY

Looks good

Thanks Peach, it for sure hit the spot! RAY

Very nice! I could clean that plate no doubt!

I have no doubt you could Travis, youngster like you'd still have room for dessert! RAY

Beautiful Ray, just beautiful. You certainly did that gorgeous rib eye justice my friend. Great job and a big LIKE!! Robert

Thanks a ton Robert, it was one of those days when a good steak felt almost medicinal! Thank you for the Like my friend, I do appreciate it. RAY

Fine looking meal Ray. That's the way I like my steak done - rare in the middle and on the vortex. Like.

Thanks Denny! It really doesn't get much easier than doing a ribeye this way, does it. Thank you for the Like Denny, I do appreciate it. RAY

looks delicious! i just got a vortex for my lang. hope i can put out a meal like that!Happy Grilling, phatbac(Aaron)

Be interesting to see how that'll work Aaron. On a Weber the top of the Vortex comes up to about a 1/2" from the bottom of the grill. Let us know, and good luck! RAY

Awesome Ray! That vortex is the real deal! Al

Thank you Al! The Vortex along with the SnS gave my Weber a whole new rebirth, really increased the versatility. Thank you for the Like Al, I do appreciate it. RAY

Great lookin' meal there Ray! BIG LIKE! John

Thank you John! I think the hot coals produce a flavor you just can't achieve any other way, I love a steak cooked over a open pit with wood coals just as much, takes a bit longer and you really have to watch them. Thanks for the Like amigo, much appreciated. RAY

That looks fantastic. About the quickest steak I have ever heard of. Very nice !

Thanks WR, it's fast and even gives some grill marks if you let it set for a minute or so. Thanks for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

One heck of a good looking plate Ray! As far as that steak goes...knock it's horn's off, wipe it's a--, and trot it across the grill...done.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky