Vortex Buffalo Wings Take 5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nicely done John! I'm going to give the Alton Brown method a shot sometime. I'm a big fan of the vortex and won't do wings any other way. Bookmarked!

Nicely done John! I'm going to give the Alton Brown method a shot sometime. I'm a big fan of the vortex and won't do wings any other way. Bookmarked!

Thanks Denny,

Nice to be Bookmarked (in a positive light.)

I think you will be pleasantly surprised as to what steaming the wings can add to your cook.

Take care,

John

Looking good. I’ve noticed with the vortex, atleast for me I haven’t needed to do anything to the wings and skin still comes out crispy. Still think it’s one of the best things I’ve bought

I have tried smoking the wings "naked" and was always disappointed with the lack of crispness in the skin. So I ask you, exactly what fuel source are you using? Lump or briquettes?

I have tried varying the time of cooking as well as the amount of fuel to no avail. Perhaps it's the type of fuel I am using.

I always use Kingsford Original Briquettes .

Curious,

John

Last edited:
I have tried smoking the wings "naked" and was always disappointed with the lack of crispness in the skin. So I ask you, exactly what fuel source are you using? Lump or briquettes? I have tried varying the time of cooking as well as the amount of fuel to no avail. Perhaps it's the type of fuel I am using. I always use Kingsford Original Briquettes . Curious, John

I've been doing Vortex legs and wings 6-8 at a time stacked tight together. I put on some of Chile's chicken rub, use Kingsford, no flipping, don't touch the lid, 35 minutes. Crispy every time.
DSCN1773.JPG

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I've been doing Vortex legs and wings 6-8 at a time stacked tight together. I put on some of Chile's chicken rub, use Kingsford, no flipping, don't touch the lid, 35 minutes. Crispy every time.
View attachment 464315
Ray, is that when its 115 degrees out or only 110? :emoji_laughing: Somebody just had to say it.

Ryan

Reactions: sawhorseray
Lookin great there. Haven’t ever tried the Alton Brown method but now am interested!
JCAP JCAP
Try it using his method in the oven first and then apply it to your vortex.

You will be surprised with the results in both situations.

Ray, is that when its 115 degrees out or only 110? :emoji_laughing: Somebody just had to say it.

Ryan

LOL!

Well I guess it's not the Kingsford then.
Chile's chicken rub sounds intriguing. . .Need to give that a whirl!

Thanks,

John

Thanks Ray,

It looks like "set it and forget it" seems to be the secret for you.

I think we sometimes get too involved in fiddling around too much with our equipment instead of just letting it do its job.

Something to think about,

John

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky