Vertical, Insulated, Reverse Flow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
We just finished up, (after some time) our first vertical, insulated, reverse flow. It turned out great. Works like it should, very little charcoal and wood and holds temp for a long time. I have a Question. We used a glue on rope type gasket like the ones in a wood stove. Does anyone have a better suggestion? We are not really happy with what we have, works O-K isn't leaking but think there is something better out there. This is a Back Woods style unit. with insulated smoker door and firebox door. I will post picture of our build. as I said it took a long time to complete, every time we would get started another job would start and have to postpone the smoker build. We are in Construction so very blessed with the work. But just completed it yesterday. Have not Painted it yet needed to see if any modifications were needed. So Far it looks like none. We cooked Boudin and chicken leg quarters, Friday we will smoke some ribs and Pork Shoulders and really check it out. But !!!!  Gasket information would be helpful. I heard someone mention a "Tadpole Gasket"  any users?

Thanks

Gary S

Congrats on the successful build!  Could use some black RTV silicone.  I am doing my door on my offset this weekend and have read numerous posts on here about using it as well.  How bout some pics of the build now for us to enjoy.

Yet another awesome smoker build.  All these metal smoker builds being posted makes me want to learn how to weld.  Food pics next please!

Thanks for the nice comments, Try to get some food pics Friday.  Not sure what kind or type of Smoker to start on next, Maybe another Vertical, Insulated but with double doors? not sure.

Wheels were cut from pipe used 5/8" round rod for spokes and 3/4" pipe spindel with a 3/4" nelson stud for the axel

LOOKING GOOOD........and built like the proverbial brick sh*thouse. Keep it well painted and your grand children will be happy to use it.  
nana2.gif

Whereabouts (that's a good Texas word for you) in Texas are you from?  My next build, if I ever do a next one, will probably be an upright.  I love my offset, but might go upright to try it out.  If you did a double door build, it would probably have to go on a trailer for ease of movement, I'm sure the one you just finished is a load in itself.

I live in Whitehouse, TX just south of Tyler about 8 miles  Last Calculation about 850#

I was so impressed with the pictures I forgot..   High Heat Silicone is used on the gaskets for the Outside Wood Boilers.   Look in the wood stove section at your B&M.   

Did not cook Friday,  Hoping to cook today, Ribs & Pork Shoulder

Nice build.  This style is my next build.  As for the seal, look for "tadpole seal".  You can use panhead self tappers to attach it to your frame.  The seal is thick enough to not reach the screw heads when closed.

Thank's actually someone already told me about Tadpole gaskets I ordered it today. That is exactly how we planned to attach.

Our next smoker will actually be two. Another vertical, insulated reverse flow and a horizontal RF with a grill above the firebox for my son. He is the one who does the cutting and welding. I do the design, research, ordering and fitting. But it's time to build him one. He has also been busy building fire-pits. Started out with building one for himself, than a friend, that the friend wanted another for someone, and so on and so on. Hope to start on his smoker this weekend, weather permitting. Here is a couple of pictures of the fire-pits

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky