Various Grub of Chef Willies at the VFW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef willie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 31, 2010
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Hey everybody...still alive and kicking up here in the PNW & still the head kitchen grunt at our local VFW Post 584. Still having fun (?) but more like work now and actually more like running a small restaurant. However, be that as it may, I've cranked up the food quality and am breaking in the refurbed pit out back for more good times this summer. On a personal level I just made up a batch of landjaegers using 30MM red collagen casings. All beef with some commercial seasoning and my usual add of 1 cup of NFDM and 1 cup of hefeweizen. Ran them overnight at 175 degrees using hickory chunks and some shredded hickory they refer to as 'chips'. Awesome results...moist and flavorful after 14 hours in the Smokin' It' #3. Most of the baby backs I've been doing have been in the oven although I use the 'low & slow' method of 225 and a 2-2-1 variation so I get a nice tug and the rib is tender as can be. We just did a chicken cook about 2 Saturdays ago and I used lump hardwood for the whole cook...took about 40 pounds worth, with a constant flip and mop action. Prior to the cook the chicken was brined overnight in buckets and then got a good shake of my dry rub. Thanks for the look and regards to all my old pals on here. I turn 70 this November so am considering turning in my time card for good as time is flying by! I have an FNG starting tomorrow night so hoping she can do all that she claims...LMAO!! We're doing a St. Louis style rib feed off the pit coming up on June 17th so we're letting the good times roll along with the smoke......adios for now, Willie

after 14 hours at 175

finished money shot....awesome moistness using 80/20 ground chuck

chicken cook on the pit

View media item 535166 butts going into the smoker for pulled pork

big mess of chili for Memorial Day 2017...I HAD to add the beans (go figure)

man does not live on pit chicken alone....some Southern deep fried goodness here

smoked me up some fresh pork hocks for beans & greens etc....so much better

12 slabs of ribs for a Friday dinner....along with a Dutch's beans variation

got my junior sous chef into making sausage now...basic bratwurst recipe, he's a convert

my beans to go with everything needing a side of beans

those brats we made hit the flat top to get a good sear

Glad to see your still around Willie!

And your still putting out some excellent looking food!

Point!

Al

Wow Chef!  Everything looks great!  Not sure if I would ever want to get into the restaurant biz but when I retire I would consider doing something like you're doing!  Especially being able to serve our vets!

Wow...it all looks great!!!

Good looking grub!
thanks.....not on all time now so decided on a collage assortment of meats!!
Looks great Chef! One of these times in my way to the coast I'll stop in and say hi!

Point!
you do that Case....anytime....drop a ling off <grin>
Great food!
Maybe you're feeding them guys too well? Nah!
I've been told that there's a weight gain happening...could be the beers though

Love the look of the sausage . 
thanks....I like them plump
A lot of good food there. I really like the look of that sausage!!!

Gary
thanks....German style sausage always a hit here, especially house made

Glad to see your still around Willie!

And your still putting out some excellent looking food!

Point!

Al
thanks Al.....glad to see YOU still around as well....miss ur comments and appreciation of good chow

Wow Chef!  Everything looks great!  Not sure if I would ever want to get into the restaurant biz but when I retire I would consider doing something like you're doing!  Especially being able to serve our vets!
not sure where ur at but volunteer help is always appreciated, especially in the kitchen in these outfits. Nothing like somebody doing a 'cook' to get some warm fuzzies going....

Wow...it all looks great!!!

thank you....labor of love usually

Chef Willie That all looks great,way to go taking care of the Vets Points for sure

Richie

usa.gif

Looks great Chef! One of these times in my way to the coast I'll stop in and say hi!

Point!

Yup. Albany isn't too far, and worth a trip! I think my membership is expired though... haven't paid any dues in years. But definitely willing to help out in the kitchen on a cook. and I might bring you some Ling or Cabezon as well!

Keep on keepin' on Chef!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky