Vacuum packing Smoked Fish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ken123

Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Greetings from Manitoba. Is it safe to vacuum pack smoked fish? In Canada our regulations are if smoked fish is to be kept fresh not frozen it must be packaged in a permeable container or wrap that allows proper oxygen transfer out of the package. Product can be sealed if frozen. This due to temperature fluctuations and botulism growth. What are your thoughts on vacuum packing for personal consumption?

Reactions: SonnyE
Last edited:
Welcome Ken,

It's safe to vacuum pack smoked fish. I suggest going for a size of the package so it's consummed within a week.

Many stores (i live in Ontario) sell vacuum packed smoked fish.

I recommend freezing the smoked fish before vac sealing so it does not get crushed.
Richie

Welcome to the site, glad to have ya. Are you looking to resell or is it for personal use? If for resale then definitely follow your countries regs. If for personal use then go ahead and vacuum seal as stated above.

Chris

Thank you. No it is just for my own personal use. But that being said our regulation state that all smoke fish that is kept fresh must be in permeable packaging. I don't want to make myself or others sick. I know this has to do with not proper holding temperature while storing. Just curious if others have had any issues.

I add nitrite to my fish prior to smoking... USDA says up to 200 Ppm nitrite to salmon.. Gills and guts harbor bacteria including botulism... They are spread during gutting etc... In packaging, good bacteria can consume the oxygen making a "low oxygen" environment ideal for botulism growth...
If you vac-pack frozen fish, which I do to keep it from getting crushed, when you remove it from the freezer, cut open the vac-pack for 2 reasons... add oxygen and as the fish thaws, a sealed vac-pack bag can and will crush the fish as it thaws...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky