• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Using Vacuumed sealed bag to cure

mr ray ray

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 2, 2016
Has anyone used a vacuum  sealed bags when curing small boneless Hams, Bacon etc. ???  looking of tips any help will help

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 3, 2014
I am using vacuum bags to cure sometimes - I am pretty sure others do. I am not sure I have tips for you; it's a pretty straightforward process. Maybe cut the bag big enough to prevent cure spill when you spread it on the meat. Massage and flip daily - but that is not specific to the vacuum bags, but to all dry curing approaches.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I tried all forms of curing...  I prefer no bags, no container of any sorts...   put the meat on a rack with cure, salt and sugar etc.  on a sheet pan and in the refer it goes...  When I inject, it goes in a bag to catch the leakage so I can rotate every few days...  the bag I loose..  not closed up even...  I prefer the meat to breathe...

My thoughts on vacuum bags.....   the meat is squashed and stuff can't penetrate properly ...   no proof..  just my thoughts...

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
I use zip lock bags also.   

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I guess we all use different methods!

I use vacuum bags.

Al

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 3, 2014
The only reason I use vacuum bags is that I don't trust ziploc bags when it comes to spills. I used them if I have room for a bowl or container to put them in. Even then, I have to be careful when I massage/flip the meats.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.