Using Vacuumed sealed bag to cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am using vacuum bags to cure sometimes - I am pretty sure others do. I am not sure I have tips for you; it's a pretty straightforward process. Maybe cut the bag big enough to prevent cure spill when you spread it on the meat. Massage and flip daily - but that is not specific to the vacuum bags, but to all dry curing approaches.

I tried all forms of curing...  I prefer no bags, no container of any sorts...   put the meat on a rack with cure, salt and sugar etc.  on a sheet pan and in the refer it goes...  When I inject, it goes in a bag to catch the leakage so I can rotate every few days...  the bag I loose..  not closed up even...  I prefer the meat to breathe...

My thoughts on vacuum bags.....   the meat is squashed and stuff can't penetrate properly ...   no proof..  just my thoughts...

The only reason I use vacuum bags is that I don't trust ziploc bags when it comes to spills. I used them if I have room for a bowl or container to put them in. Even then, I have to be careful when I massage/flip the meats.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky