Upright Smoker Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RBBennett

Original poster
Apr 25, 2022
The Woodlands, TX
Been looking at upright smoker to save some room and be able to cook more. If cooking multiple items of the same variety, no problem with juices dripping down on lower levels, but if cooking ribs, chicken, sausage, etc. what do you do about not cross contaminating? Use sheet pans with with grilling racks? if so, does smoke sufficiently get to all sides? Do pans heat up and cook bottom too much, or just flip more often?

Cross contamination is not an issue either way.
No bacteria will survive when meat surface temps are at 165° in a smoker running at 225° or higher.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
i have been using the same vertical smoker for 20 + years and ( at least on mine ) i can't tell any difference from meat cooked on the upper racks from the lower ones . the only temp i go by is the one in the stack ( located in the top center of my smoker)

Attachments

• DSCN5658.JPG
    DSCN5658.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 8
mine is a commerical smoker and my smoker has ports that allow both smoke and heat to enter the cooking chamber on both sides so its a very even smoke and heat. i got to thinking about when i smoked both chicken and ribs at the same time and i do put the chicken on the lower racks but thats just because i don't like all the chicken drippings dripping down on the ribs
mainly because all i use on my ribs is dry rub

Last edited:
If you want to use pans in a vertical smoker you do have some choices.

When I smoke non wrapped pork butts in my electric smoker, then I use this topper to aid in removing the pork butt from the smoker.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky