uninsulated propane smoker, maintaining 350F?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 13, 2015
i have reflectix wrapped around my 40" masterbuilt propane smoker, and it works great at 230F and below for doing ribs, briskets, jerky, etc.

not thinking it through, and forgetting that reflectix has a 170F max limit, i smoked some chickens at 325-375F and it ended up melting the reflectix. no harm came to the smoker, thankfully. one of my smoker thermometers even went past 400F for awhile.

so i was wondering, those with uninsulated propane smokers what's the highest temperature you've been able to maintain? i wish there was an easy way to add insulation for high heat, like rock wool.

yeah you're probably right, i think i'm maxed out on modding my propane smoker. i already have a char-broil big easy infrared cooker that does great for chicken and crispy chicken skin. i guess i'll keep my propane smoker for the low and slow cooks, and use the big easy for higher temp cooks.

Back when I first joined SMF, there was a series of threads about Chicken and the disappointment in the skin.
I hit it head on. I smoked some chicken for an hour or two to get it smokey.
Then finished it in our Air Fryer.
Smoked Chicken and Crispy Skin.
Here's the particulars.

Meats that need high heat, I add smoke and move the meat into the kitchen oven...

i didn't even think of that as an option but that's probably what i'll do next time around!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky