Uncle Goldie's Fruit Liqueur

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Note the apples above, terrible disappointment. Racked out beautiful cinnamon amber color but just didn't grasp the apple flavor I was looking for.

Now its the peaches........ I have learned a lot over this last year something anyone else would probably already know. The size, aroma and ripeness are no way to pick the fruit for maceration. Smaller tarter locally grown fruits and berries offer better naturally sweeter liqueur. They are not a pretty or as sweet or aromatic, but the make the best Liqueur. Who knew?

Peaches

I have also already racked and bottled about a gallon. AND a 1/2 gallon of nectarine...... Now that's some tastee stuff.

I'll comeback after they are racked.

Oh WoW! I made some Apple spiced rum last year? Maybe the year before and it wasn't my favorite. Boy it mellows out nice, cause it didn't mellow. Its over a year old and it will take your breath away. Nice apple taste with those spices from the rum. This will be good for sipping.

Its dang sure good over ice!!

Here is how I do things. I make 2 quart jars for maceration (sucking out the flavor of the fruit). Two quart jars equals one jar going into the smoothing process.  

Wash, pit, and slice the fruit. I leave the skins on, it makes it easier to strain 'em out later sometimes.

In a clean quart jar, any size works but I am using quarts here for easy of illustration, put in 1 1/2 cups of booze. I use either Vodka or Rum, I have used both 80 proof and higher. I suggest you start out low and slow with 80. BTW I suggest a good booze you'd drink, but you need not buy the super delux imported flavored varieties.

I try to wait to add the simple syrup. It helps keep it from clouding so bad while macerating. Once its in the booze, put the lid on and let it make happy happy. I set mine on the counter next to the sink. That way I remember to turn them over or gently shake them twice daily. Want to keep the booze in circulation. As this is going on, you'll notice a change in the fruits color where the booze is sucking those flavors out. It will also cloud as the small particles shake free in the solution. You should do this anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks, let fruit density be your guide. You'll notice that the usual fast evaporating alcohol bubbles will start hanging around longer.

Simple Syrup

1 part creek water

2 parts sugar

Boil/Cool

Its like super charged sugar, used in bars and in the south if you have a yankee to supper who doesn't drink sweet tea.

Goldie, morning....  Daughter brought over a case of peaches...   We made  freezer pie filling for 9 pies...   I've got a bunch of  peaches left I want to do this to them....  

I'm confused as to what you mean by "macerating"...   Are you crushing the peaches, in the quart jars, with a wooden spoon or something to get more surface area contact with the liquor ??

After macerating is complete and satisfactory, maybe even after racking and removing most of the solids, is that when you add the simple syrup ??

Help me out here my friend...  sometimes things are perfectly clear but my mind see's cloudiness....

Dave, no don't mush 'em up. If you do, make freezer jelly! You want the peaches sliced. Best to remove the skin. Seems the skin has pectin and will cause a type of roping in your booze. Noone likes snot in the drink...LOL 

Its a shame, because the skin helps keep them together. You do not want to leave the fruit in so long as it will start falling apart. You do not want to shake it so hard as to have any strands of fruit come off. 

You brine meat, you mascerate fruit. Its a difusion process.

http://www.renderfoodmag.com/blog/2014/5/6/savor-the-science-maceration

Well.....  It's fairly obvious I did not have a clue as to the REAL meaning of maceration...  I thought it meant to "pulverize" or something similar...  You know what that means...   This day don't count toward days here on earth...   I learned something VERY important....   I guess I should have looked it up BUT...  those who thought like I thought, would have never learned the real meaning of the word...

You know.....  for a peddler you's one fart smeller...    really and truly...  I think I should wander through your threads and count up all the stuff I learned from you...  be back in about 3 days....    If I'm lucky...

Hey Foamheart, have you made your liquer with plums? I've got a tree with ripe ones and I'm going to pick up some vodka and spiced rum tomorrow to give it a shot.

Should I peel the skins off? They make some great jam and i didn't need to use pectin so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and I am looking forward to decanting for Xmas!

Hey Foamheart, have you made your liquer with plums? I've got a tree with ripe ones and I'm going to pick up some vodka and spiced rum tomorrow to give it a shot.

Should I peel the skins off? They make some great jam and i didn't need to use pectin so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and I am looking forward to decanting for Xmas!
Yes I have, its not the same liqueur type taste, its more like a plum wine. Really mellow..

No, if you skin them they fall all apart and no one likes chunky booze...LOL

Reactions: mike w
I did plum with vodka and those pink lady apples with the spiced rum. Should be a nice treat this winter

The plums will alos give off that reddish color from the peels. Its really a beautiful colored drink, especially when its clean/clear. I think I made some plum also with everclear. Everclear is the alcohol of choice for citrus. You only want the outer skin without any of the white pith attached (its bitter). Just play with it, its a lot of fun. I always make Tia Maria (coffee liquere) about now so its ready for the holidays. AND if you have cherries where you live you should most definately try some Cheery Bounce!

Reactions: mike w
The color is leeching nicely. My wife said they look pretty haha. I can use that as an excuse to make more. :)

You really only need a week or two for the fruit in the alcohol to suck out the flavor, especially when the fruit is really ripe and completely peeled. If the fruit starts breaking down, it will cloud your liqueur. I think the wine and mead makers call it racking, but its when the sediment drops to the bottom and the top can be drained out clear. Too long macerating and it takes more rackings.

Make sure and save yourself some of the liqueur for next summer. I love to add spicy peach to iced tea. I may even clean off the front porch swing. 

Well, things got busy and I totally forgot about it...   I s'pose you know how that goes....

OK.... I'll start the "racking" process to have a clear liqueur....   Time to make some simple syrup also I think....

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky