UMAi PEPPERONI, MY FIRST TRY!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fine looking pepperoni Al.
I bought some UMAi casing during that sale too.
Just remember that adding more of the SM spices will add more salt as well.

Don

Ok guys I have been wanting to get into dry curing for quite some time now, but TheSausageMaker had a sale on UMAi casings & so that put me over the edge. I bought 4 packs, Bactoferm, cure #2, and their dry cure pepperoni seasoning. I read that I should use a combo of lean beef & lean pork or just one or the other then add fatback. Well I looked everywhere & couldn't find any fat back. Every meat man I talked to said he had a guy that came in everyday & bought all their trimmings. So I thought I would just grind up a butt & see what I got. I bought a little over an 8 lb butt & when I cut the bone out I ended up with 3 packages of 2 1/2 lbs. each. Which would be a good amount for an experiment.
This is the recipe I used:
2 1/2 lb. coarse ground pork butt
1/2 tsp cure #2
3 oz. SM pepperoni seasoning (not enough, next time I'll use 4 1/2 oz.)
.15 gram Bactoferm ( I used bactoferm frm 52 us, because it said it would ferment in warmer climates)
3/8 cup NFDM
1/2 cup distilled water

I practically froze the meat before grinding it & used the large plate.
Then back into the freezer for a half hour & then mix in all the dry ingredients using wooden paddles so as not to get the meat warmed up.
Next dissolve the bactoferm in the water & mix it with the meat thoroughly with my hands until it became stiff.
Next I stuffed it into the UMAi casings, I used the 32mm casings, I think next time I will use the larger 50 mm casings. Which by the way I'm going to use tomorrow to make some dry cured Chorizo. I hung the sausage in Judy's craft room which is about 79-80 degrees. The bactoferm says it will ferment anywhere from 70-90 degrees, so this seemed just right.

Here is a photo of when they were first stuffed & hung to ferment.

View attachment 372051
After one day they are already starting to turn red.

View attachment 372052
At the end of the second day they are really getting red.

View attachment 372053

I weighed them all & put tags on each sausage, the recipe said to look for a 35-40% drop in weight, so I put the weights on the tags. And onto a drying rack in the fridge.

View attachment 372054

After about 9 days they had lost about 38-39 % of their weight & I thought that they were ready.

View attachment 372055

So here is the first UMAi pepperoni that a I have ever made. I was very surprised at the taste. I was expecting the traditional factory pepperoni you see everywhere here in the US. But what I got was a really deep beefy flavor that had ample spice, (next batch will be much spicier).

View attachment 372057

I also found that if you let it sit at room temp for a half hour or so the flavor intensified even more. I had some smoked jalapeno jack cheese hat I thought would go with it. So I sliced some up & put the both on saltine crackers.

View attachment 372058
View attachment 372056

Snack time!

View attachment 372059
Well I had to just double up on the sausage & cheese!!
View attachment 372060

And I took the casings off & vac packed them & put them in the freezer for some fantastic appetizers at a later date!

View attachment 372061

This has opened a whole new world for me. I have a lot of time on my hands & really like to try new things especially food related. I'm very happy with the way the pepperoni turned out, and honestly when you do something for the first time you have to wonder did I do something wrong & am I going to be in the bathroom for the next 24 hours. But luckily this one turned out good & i'm really looking forward to making the Chorizo tomorrow. I know one thing for sure, it will get more spices than it calls for & it will go into the 50 mm UMAi casings.
I can only hope that the rest of my retirement will be spent doing fun things like this. Judy & I live a very simple life & we really like doing things together, especially cooking!
We have been together for about 60 years, so we kind of know what the other person is thinking!
Thanks for letting me tell my story about my first experience with the UMAi bags. If you haven't tried them yet I would suggest you give it a try!!
Al
Looks like ya knocked it outta the park. Congrats on the carousel, you earned it. Got me wanting to try something new. I think I’m gonna pick up some cure #1 and maybe try and cure a shoulder out some time in not so distant future.

SA, Fine batch of pepperoni, I'm starting up a batch of venison salami in the next few days. I hope it comes out as well as yours did !

Thanks for sharing this Al! Pepperoni is on my list of things to make!

Well I can tell you that you won't be disappointed if you try this. I procrastinated for ever & am really glad i took the plunge!
Al

And congrats on a well deserved spin on the Carousel!

Thanks John, I hope you guys realize that i'm not putting myself up there, I think Adam put me up there this time.
I feel kinda funny being up there, but also feel honored at the same time.
Al

Fine looking pepperoni Al.
I bought some UMAi casing during that sale too.
Just remember that adding more of the SM spices will add more salt as well.

Don

Yes Don use a little more of the SM spice, we don't add salt to anything so the salt content for us was good, but if you use a lot of salt in your recipes then by all means add a little extra to this recipe.

Looks like ya knocked it outta the park. Congrats on the carousel, you earned it. Got me wanting to try something new. I think I’m gonna pick up some cure #1 and maybe try and cure a shoulder out some time in not so distant future.

Well if you want to cure a butt, you can't beat Buckboard bacon. That is one of the first things I ever cured & it really got me hooked. Good luck!!
Al

I think Al and Rick need to write a tutorial on these UMAi Bags now ;)

Well thank you for the compliment, but Rick is the real expert on the UMAi bags & casings. He has helped me more than I can even describe. I bugged him online & in person & he was always very patient & helpful. He can answer any question about the UMAi bags with great knowledge that I don't have, or if I do have I got it from him. Rick (Nepas) in case some of you don't know who we are talking about is the sausage guru on here & very knowledgeable on the UMAi bags & casings, and also their spice mixes.
Al

Looks great! Want to try something different get the red hot sausage mix from SM and make some with that! You will be surprised, just use the same amount they say for sausage.

I'd be all in for a step by step on these UMAI bags. Might even be worthy of it's own category on the board. Now I need recipes. I'm somewhat against using packaged blends. Too many times in the past, I develop a strong preference for a product and the company goes out of business, quits making it, changes recipe, or the vendor stops carrying it ect and I'm left out in the cold so to speak. If I make it, all I need to worry about is where I put the recipe. Thanks to the computer, flash drives and printer, my odds of being able to find at least one of three copies are pretty good.

I was talking to my wife today about having a sausage party and her eye's lite up. :rolleyes: LMAO!!!
She laughed when I said not that kind of sausage honey, don't get excited.
I'm talking about a party to make pepperoni and soppressata here woman, get your mind out of the gutter.

Last edited:
I guess we better bug Neppas into a tutorial then for those of us clueless and afraid!

I think that would be a great idea. I'm sure he would be willing to give one at the S.Florida Gathering in Nov.
Al

Looks great! Want to try something different get the red hot sausage mix from SM and make some with that! You will be surprised, just use the same amount they say for sausage.

I have always liked the SM mixes, but this time it just didn't have the kick I was looking for, so if I order something from them again I will try the red hot sausage mix!
Al

I'd be all in for a step by step on these UMAI bags. Might even be worthy of it's own category on the board. Now I need recipes. I'm somewhat against using packaged blends. Too many times in the past, I develop a strong preference for a product and the company goes out of business, quits making it, changes recipe, or the vendor stops carrying it ect and I'm left out in the cold so to speak. If I make it, all I need to worry about is where I put the recipe. Thanks to the computer, flash drives and printer, my odds of being able to find at least one of three copies are pretty good.

I hear you & agree completely, as a mater of fact the next batch of pepperoni I make will come from Ruhlman's book, and that is where I got the recipe for the Spanish Chorizo that I am going to make today. I was going to use some of my SM chorizo seasoning, but decided to give Ruhlmans recipe a try.
Al

I was talking to my wife today about having a sausage party and her eye's lite up. :rolleyes: LMAO!!!
She laughed when I said not that kind of sausage honey, don't get excited.
I'm talking about a party to make pepperoni and soppressata here woman, get you mind out of the gutter.

That is too funny!!
Al

Looks great Al. Umai bags are super easy to use. It's the process that can be intimating.

I used the umai pepperoni seasoning. It's really good

Have you used the Smoked Pepperoni seasoning from SM? I was thinking of getting it and doctoring it up. Or is it just not worth the time and effort to tinker with it? I'll admit I'm lazy and would much prefer to bulk order premade seasoning LOL

I've used the SM pepperoni mix also and agree, not enough kick kinda plain tasting. The Red Hot will give you what you are looking for. Taste kinda like Johnsonville red hot sausage but better.

That looks amazing. I am going to have to try this eventually. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you & yes you should give it a try!
Al

Looks great Al. Umai bags are super easy to use. It's the process that can be intimating.

I used the umai pepperoni seasoning. It's really good

Thanks Adam & thank-you for putting me up on the carousel, I still get excited when I see my stuff up there!
I'm going to make another batch of pepperoni today using the recipe out of Ruhlman's book "Charcuterie". I used his recipe for Chorizo yesterday & I wanted to try his pepperoni one today. Who know's, maybe salami tomorrow!!
These UMAi casings are just too easy!!
Al

Have you used the Smoked Pepperoni seasoning from SM? I was thinking of getting it and doctoring it up. Or is it just not worth the time and effort to tinker with it? I'll admit I'm lazy and would much prefer to bulk order premade seasoning LOL

Yes Tom I have used the smoked pepperoni spice blend from the SM and I also put fermento, jalapeno's, & high temp cheddar cheese in some sticks that I make. Everybody loves them.
Al

I've used the SM pepperoni mix also and agree, not enough kick kinda plain tasting. The Red Hot will give you what you are looking for. Taste kinda like Johnsonville red hot sausage but better.

I'm going to try a recipe today from Ruhlman's book & see how his recipe tastes, at least I will know what I have put in so I can tweak it if needed.
Al

Very nice snack platter with pepperoni you made and cheese you smoked! That's so cool! It's going to be really neat to make your own pizza and calzones with it!

Thank you so much!
I was going to make a calzone with it last night, but we had some heavy rain & ended up just getting something out of the freezer. Going to give it a go tonight!
Al

Thanks for letting me know Al! I got a lil project fridge now..these UMAi bags are calling my name amoungst many other things ;)

Just make sure your fridge has a fan in it. You can't use a small fridge or beer cooler. It has to be a full sized fridge with a fan that circulates the air inside or it won't work with the bags.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky