Umai Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexster314

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 7, 2012
Texas Gulf Coast
I had to try the Umai method of aging meat. I bought a Costco prime strip loin on April 9th and began a 30 day aging process. Coming along nicely, it's lost a shade over a pound of moisture since then. Today, one of our local grocers advertised bone-in prime rib roast at 6.99/lb and I jumped on that one as well. Got it put up in the Umai bag after cutting off a 2 pound rib for supper tomorrow night. Weight at beginning is 17lb.
First pic is of the strip loin today. Second in rib roast just in the reefer
2019-04-17 13.56.35.jpg

2019-04-17 13.56.13.jpg

rexster314, hopefully you wont forget to update us with a result? :emoji_blush:
Also, why did you choose 30 days aging and not 45, 60 or 90 days? The longer the better in this case....

My wife is not too sure about dry aged meat. My thinking is if she'll like the 30 day, I'll try a longer one next time

"My wife is not too sure about dry aged meat. My thinking is if she'll like the 30 day, I'll try a longer one next time"

You're not going to notice much, if any, taste difference after only 30 days. They will get more tender but that's about it. I recently did a rib roast (bone-in prime rib) for 45 days and you could tell the difference in flavor but it wasn't nearly as pronounced as I was hoping for. Right now I have two full strip roasts in UMAi bags that will age for 60 days and I'll be serving them two weeks from today. I'd highly recommend adding a couple weeks to your aging time.....but it's your call, and your wife that must be gratified :emoji_wink: Regardless, please keep us posted.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky