UDS Paint Jobs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What can you tell me about the Clemson colors?  Paint name?  Place bought?  Any primer first?  I'm a Clemson fan but I have a gamecock looking UDS!  Gotta fix that!

What can you tell me about the Clemson colors?  Paint name?  Place bought?  Any primer first?  I'm a Clemson fan but I have a gamecock looking UDS!  Gotta fix that!

That is awesome. Details on how you painted it? Where did you get the paint? How did you apply? Primer?

Sorry for the delay responding Dbl Gman. After drilling all the holes for the 3/4" nipples, ball valves, and bolts for the grate support I started by priming the drum.  After the primer was dry I added two coats of Rustoleum Gloss White. I used regular old Rustoleum High Gloss 2x paint.

In the meantime I determined the size of the stars I wanted in the blue field. I researched buying star decals but couldn't find any so I made my own. I created outlined stars and printed them from the computer. I used a large piece of plexiglass and laid out the 8.5 x 11 sheets with the stars on the plexiglass and used blue painters tape behind the stars. I cut out each star by hand using an X-Acto knife.

After I cut out all 50 stars I created a full size template to use for placing the stars on the drum. I had to cut out each star on the template so I could use it as a placement guide for the blue painter's tape stars.

Once I had all the stars positioned properly I masked off the blue field area. It was now time for the red and white stripes. I measured the height of the barrel and calculated the thickness of the stripes then measured and marked where I wanted each stripe. Again I used blue painters tape and masked off the white stripes. I painted the entire drum red now that the white stripes were masked.

You can see the stripes after I removed the masking. The bottom stripe is thicker than the others because I was planning to add a patriotic message.

The white and red stripes were masked off around the blue field and the area was painted blue. The blue painters tape stars masked off the stars so they'd end up white. (Sorry this picture is a bit dark)

After all the painting was finished I installed all the necessary. And Viola'!

View media item 397430

I thought UDS meant "Ugly Drum Smoker".

I haven't seen an Ugly one yet !!!
icon14.gif

Bear

I used regular old Rustoleum on my American flag UDS. Since I don't smoke over 275 degree temp isn't an issue. Aside from enduring a Wisconsin winter my UDS is still in pretty good shape. God Bless!

meateater meateater what kind of vinyl cutter do you have? Would you recommend it?

I'm in the market for a good vinyl cutter and seeking some advice.
Btw sorry for being off topic.

The net is filled with useless reviews. Most of these people haven't seen a vinyl cutter but they share their opinions as if. In a way I got bored with the hype.

The other day I came across a different blog. The blogger is harsh with all brands and points out their flaws. That gave her some street cred. After reading this best electronic cutting machines review I got stuck.

Dunno if it's worth to invest the big money if a desktop machine can do the job just as well. Which one would you choose from the list?

So anybody with pointers?

meateater meateater what kind of vinyl cutter do you have? Would you recommend it?

I'm in the market for a good vinyl cutter and seeking some advice.
Btw sorry for being off topic.

The net is filled with useless reviews. Most of these people haven't seen a vinyl cutter but they share their opinions as if. In a way I got bored with the hype.

The other day I came across a different blog. The blogger is harsh with all brands and points out their flaws. That gave her some street cred. After reading this best electronic cutting machines review I got stuck.

Dunno if it's worth to invest the big money if a desktop machine can do the job just as well. Which one would you choose from the list?

So anybody with pointers?

Meateater hasn't been here since 2011.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky