• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

UDS Paint Jobs

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
I was checking my subscriptions and somehow missed this one. N I C E J O B !!

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 23, 2010
just for safety I would want to use a paint that was approved for cooking
What paint is approved for cooking?

Reality is that the drum exterior does not get hot enough to burn paint. Honestly folks, use whatever paint you have.

69cam

Joined Feb 15, 2009
Ya, it is a sticker that I got off of E bay.

The sticker has held up well to 350+ degrees.

Kevin

pandemonium

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 4, 2009
Does anyone know if water based acrylic will be ok for a uds? i went to homeless depot and thats what she sold me and i dont know crap about paint but a buddy thought that oil based would be better? anyone know because im gonna be wanting to paint it tomorrow and if its the wrong kind of paint they better take it back, im using a pneumatic paint gun, oh and i hate this new spell checker man it sucks cause i use nosquint and i have to shrink down to hit the damn buttons on it.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
I would think that it would not hold up to the heat,crack and fall off. If your using a spray gun like to paint cars just get enamel based paint like rustoleum. Why not just spray cans like bbq black?

pandemonium

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 4, 2009
thats what i get for thinking a home depot person knows anything man i tell ya, i dont want to paint it black, im doing a Fl Gators one and have been reading that you dont need high temp paint so you can get alot more options to paint it with, hell the yellow paint ont mine is just cheap spray paint and its not being hurt by the heat.

cromag

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 3, 2010
I was cleaning in my shop and found a roll of 1/8 pinstripe tape and 2 rolls of blue masking then stumbled across an almost full can of high temp chevy orange leftover from an engine build...the rest just sort of happened!!!
My first idea was making a strencil of a pigs face and paint mine light pink and paint on the pig face but I can't make a stencil.. Now damn idea for mine was going to be this... I am going to incorporate more yellows and oranges in my paint scheme.. Guess I can be a copy cat

tom37

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 24, 2009
And I thought I was going to be the only one with a pink smoker. LOL

Here is a couple pigs you may try and play with.

If you like I can get the site address for ya, they are all royalty free.

Here is my new drum. Its actually very pink.

Last edited:

tom37

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 24, 2009
Lookin good Rigsrme!

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Man those are some great looking UDS. Very cool and props to all of you 

ssbbqguy

Joined Feb 9, 2010
Hello everyone. I have not found the hello part of this site yet, so I'll say hey here.This is what I make. I offer three sizes 55gal., 85gal., and 110gal. I mainly powdercoat but occasionally hand paint.We get by with regular temp powdercoat because these are all firebrick lined. Steve.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks