UDS Built around ThermoWorks Billows

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shady

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Knoxville TN
Starting to plan out my first UDS Build and figured why not plan it around the ThermoWorks Billows I already have. I’ve found this and was thinking I could get away with one intake port on the back of the UDS that would always have the billows hooked up to it.

Could I get away with this? Should I do standard 3/4?

Reactions: kruizer
Starting to plan out my first UDS Build and figured why not plan it around the ThermoWorks Billows I already have. I’ve found this and was thinking I could get away with one intake port on the back of the UDS that would always have the billows hooked up to it.

Could I get away with this? Should I do standard 3/4?

What is the CFM output of that unit?

If you're going to be using fan forced air, then one input should be just fine :-)
Would placing the inlet in the back and also having exhaust in back cause any issues?

Want to try and limit any accidental kicking of the billows

Make sure your fan pushes enough cfms to heat the unit. Sorry, I don't have those facts and figures, but I'm sure pitvipers' site does if you look in their fan section.

I would just rotate the lid so the exhaust is opposite your fan. Unless you're a donkey like me and use yours inside, it shouldn't matter if your lid is rotated to one side or another.

If you're going to just extend the bung with pipe for exhaust vs drilling holes (that's what I prefer, using the bung) then keep a piece of 4" pvc pipe a couple of feet long to place over your bung extension for days with low winds. This will increase the natural draft and help take some of the load off of your fan..

Edit: when I say "use mine inside", what I mean is that I have min hooked up to a rooftop exhaust system in my heated garage so I don't have to deal with cold or rain or snow :-)

20190526_213458.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
Make sure your fan pushes enough cfms to heat the unit. Sorry, I don't have those facts and figures, but I'm sure pitvipers' site does if you look in their fan section.

I would just rotate the lid so the exhaust is opposite your fan. Unless you're a donkey like me and use yours inside, it shouldn't matter if your lid is rotated to one side or another.

If you're going to just extend the bung with pipe for exhaust vs drilling holes (that's what I prefer, using the bung) then keep a piece of 4" pvc pipe a couple of feet long to place over your bung extension for days with low winds. This will increase the natural draft and help take some of the load off of your fan..

Edit: when I say "use mine inside", what I mean is that I have min hooked up to a rooftop exhaust system in my heated garage so I don't have to deal with cold or rain or snow :-)

View attachment 429682

Now this is a setup I can get behind!!

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky