UDS Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chasenr

Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
Hi all!

A few months ago I decided I wanted to get a better smoker which would be more versatile than my Big Chief. I wanted to do a bit more hot smoking but still be able to cold smoke. After reading about the UDS and how everyone seemed to love theirs for hot smoke, I decided to go that route. Doesn't hurt that it's easy on the wallet as well!

I shopped for a barrel for about a month and was having a hard time finding anything. I finally found one through my brother in law that used to hold paint. I really didn't want to start with a lined one but free changed my decision. I drilled a couple holes in it and lit a really good/hot fire to get the lining out.

Paint burned off very easily on the exterior and the lining pretty much was non existent after a few hours.

We then set to cleaning it with a wire wheel, inside and out. After a coat of paint it was looking pretty good.

I will be shopping for more parts this week. I got an Amazen smoker maze for the cold smoke. Amongst all the other small details, I hope to use expanded steel for the grates and basket and get a couple 1" ball valves for air vents along with 2 more holes with nipples on the bottom of the barrel.

I do have one question about the ball valves so hopefully someone can fill me in. Should I be using a high temp ball valve, as in no seal? A lot of ball valves have the teflon seal inside and are only good for around 250-300F. Do the ball valves actually get that hot?

Thanks for reading!

I've just got a standard ball valve on mine that I got for free from a plumber on my job site. Didn't even realize they made a high temp one. Had this one on for 2 years and no issues with it. The one thing I added to my UDS that made a huge difference is using a pizza pan as a heat deflector. Keeps all the grease smoke off everything. Tried using a water pan - didn't like that in there. Too much moisture. Had condensation everywhere. Any questions feel free to ask.

Save yourself some Money and use gate valves .thats what I did on my UDS.

If you are going to use expanded for your cooking grates you will need some sort of bracing. It's too flimsy to hold the weight of food. At least if it's the light stuff sold at the box stores . You will also need to oil and season them like cast iron or you!ll have rusty grates.

Thanks for the replies. Pizza pan is a good idea. I might have to implement that.
I think I will stick with ball valves as it is easy to see how open they are. Plus I work at a hydraulic shop and have easy access to valves :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished the UDS and I'm pretty excited to give it a go! I will season it this weekend.

4 x 1" bottom vents. 2 to be capped and 2 with 1" ball valves. Going to leave the lid as is, as I still would like to find a Weber lid to fit.

Got the brother in law to weld up a basket for me.
Still have a couple pizza pans coming as well as a meat thermometer, of which I'm still researching what to get.

731afcba5b8db788c7e75d4f4979498a.jpg

ec6cc55c28c88a33e20ee2ba9fa8ccbf.jpg

12f800b943f8d1150b6fe43d57fb673f.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/

20161202/79f362d39689296fbe368aa17b0b5b57.jpg

36c8224abe7f565d61470d3fa56697bb.jpg

Thanks for reading!
NC

What is the purpose of the 2 capped holes in the bottom?

More air intake if I want to maintain a hotter cook. When researching, it seemed most everyone preferred more air intake to less than enough. I figured four 1 inch holes would be sufficient. With both my ball valves full open, I was maintaining around 325ish and it wasn't very cold out. If I want to go hotter, I can open up the capped fittings and then go back to playing with the ball valves.

This past weekend, I seasoned it and the temps were very stable. Will be interesting to test it out on some food and see what it can do temp wise, highs and lows.

Nice looking UDS. I used magnets over the holes in mine. Typically with the exhaust wide open and 1 1/4" hole wide open for air I can maintain 300 easily. I typically run at 250-275. I love mine. ENJOY!!

I recently bought this UDS and it has 4-1/2in holes for intake. I did my first smoke on it the other day and it was like 50 degrees out and the hottest I could get it was 215 with all 4 intakes open and exhaust wide open...should I make bigger intake holes?

I recently bought this UDS and it has 4-1/2in holes for intake. I did my first smoke on it the other day and it was like 50 degrees out and the hottest I could get it was 215 with all 4 intakes open and exhaust wide open...should I make bigger intake holes?

How big was your fire?

I have always made mine with 3/4" intakes and 3" exhaust. Never have a problem achieving temps from 180-500+

Nice looking UDS. I used magnets over the holes in mine. Typically with the exhaust wide open and 1 1/4" hole wide open for air I can maintain 300 easily. I typically run at 250-275. I love mine. ENJOY!!

Thanks Jay!
Have you found it's easier to maintain temps of 225-250 with the 1.25" hole capped?
So far, I have run both the exhausts wide open. Works well but I feel like it would rather be around 275 with exhausts wide open.

I can easily reach temps of 300 with two 1" holes open so four 1/2" holes should be enough.. curious what your basket looks like.

I can easily reach temps of 300 with two 1" holes open so four 1/2" holes should be enough.. curious what your basket looks like.

Can anyone speak on the size of exhaust on the Weber lid? Is it large enough stock? Or is it important to add aftermarket vents on the lid as well?
Maybe a combination between the 1/2" holes and small exhaust?
Unsure, as I don't run the Weber lid... yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky