Type Fish ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’ve had good luck with a revised cod recipe (way too salty and smoky first time) …

Smoked Cod II

Dry Brine:

1t kosher salt

2T Dk br sugar

1t Old Bay

Refrigerate 3 hrs

Rinse/dry

Refrigerate 3 hrs

Bring to room temp

Smoke 200* to IT 140*

Mix Apple/Cherry

(Takes 1-1/2 hrs)

I usually grill talapia, but I wouldn't be opposed to smoking it. Oil rich fish like salmon fare better for smoking, as has already been mentioned, but I'd still give it a go.
Thank you for that idea. I like it the best, but wife and kids will NOT let me near any flames. I am using oxygen and they are afraid I will burst into flames if I get near any flames. I am not allowed in the pantry because the furnace and water heater are in there. So I am Definitely not allowed near the grill. (lol) Luckily the smoker is electric. My wife is still nervous about me being near it alone. Yes, it must be love.

Reactions: DougE
Dang, I did it wrong. My son was so-so with it. (not happy, but did not throw it out.) He does not like food warmed with the microwave and does not like leftovers. I guess that I never noticed that before. So, to try again, about how long does it take to smoke a 1/2 pound of salmon. He also mostly eats salmon. It is a little too expensive to just go with "by guess and by golly" (wow, where did I remember that from??)

Dang, I did it wrong. My son was so-so with it. (not happy, but did not throw it out.) He does not like food warmed with the microwave and does not like leftovers. I guess that I never noticed that before. So, to try again, about how long does it take to smoke a 1/2 pound of salmon. He also mostly eats salmon. It is a little too expensive to just go with "by guess and by golly" (wow, where did I remember that from??)
Slabs of salmon take me around a couple hours smoking at 160~180°. I take them to 145° IT.

Thank you for that idea. I like it the best, but wife and kids will NOT let me near any flames. I am using oxygen and they are afraid I will burst into flames if I get near any flames. I am not allowed in the pantry because the furnace and water heater are in there. So I am Definitely not allowed near the grill. (lol) Luckily the smoker is electric. My wife is still nervous about me being near it alone. Yes, it must be love.
I know the feeling!!
I was no longer allowed to mow my yards, and I had to stay away from the Christmas Tree. Grilling is definitely a No-No!!
Hang in there, Buddy!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky