Two stalls in the same cook?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Razyr Sharpe

Original poster
Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone ever had 2 separate and distinct stalls in the same cook? I was smoking a chuck roast. I had stalls at 153 degrees, and again at 166. What might be the cause?

I've never had what I would call 2 definite stalls. I have seen some long drawn out stall's, though.

The stall can make you question your sanity the first 2 or 3 times you go through it.

In my opinion a chuck can be even more frustrating than a butt.

I did one, (2.10 LB Chuck), last weekend that wound up taking 10 hours at 250*. (I figure on 2 hours a LB. for butts).

Reactions: Razyr Sharpe
I did my first chuck roast the other day. I was hoping to get it up to 160 before wrapping but it just sat there at 151 for a while, so I wrapped then. I wouldn’t be surprised to find some additional slow climbing temps along the way before the wrap. Maybe it was just one really long funky stall you had.

Reactions: Razyr Sharpe
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky