Twins... double smoked hams!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
So we decided on ham for Thanksgiving and we had two in the freezer so figured just as well smoke em both. Of course had to follow Bearcarver Bearcarver method for his double smoked hams...they are so good! So a big thank you to him for his step by steps!
Started with two hams, trimmed all the fat off the outside.

20201117_144532.jpg

Fat trimmed off and on trays with holes to be placed above the hams for basting while smoking

20201117_144547.jpg

Ran the smoker around 225 with pitmasters choice in the amnps. Shelly made supper and we took that to dad's and ate with him and my brother...sorry no pics, I know I know! We had a chicken and rice a roni casserole and scalloped corn...we kinda devoured it so it was almost like it didn't happen. So anyways got home from supper, mixed up the glaze, heated up and glazed the hams.

20201117_215222.jpg

Just having one for Thanksgiving so asked which one... she said left one so grabbed a knife and cut a couple taste test pieces from the right one...OMG! So good! All the drippings will be used for gravy...can't wait!

We finished off coleslaw Shelly had made so this afternoon she threw together her ham and Mac salad...elbow noodles, ham, hard boiled eggs, onion, and cheddar cheese topped with a mixture of mayo and Western french dressing. We love this stuff so figured I'd share it.

20201118_172632.jpg

Anyways thanks for stopping by!

Ryan

Looks very nice. I have 4 hams curing using Daveomak’s recipe. Will hang in the smokehouse first thing Sunday morning. Mmmmmm ...... ham!

Looks very nice. I have 4 hams curing using Daveomak’s recipe. Will hang in the smokehouse first thing Sunday morning. Mmmmmm ...... ham!
Thank you, I appreciate it! I have a fresh ham in freezer from a pig we butchered , have sttp on order now to try his recipe also...have heard nothing but good about them. Looking forward to that also.

Ryan

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That's awesome Ryan. Looks delicious. Gonna do a ham Bearcarver Bearcarver way this weekend ahead of Thanksgiving to reheat. Pretty excited
Thanks Jake! I was excited about these too! Think we are gonna sv this one for Thanksgiving to reheat. Sent a pic to our son...he loves ham, maybe should lock the freezer so he doesn't come steal it!

Ryan

Wasn't sure how to edit my post to add this pic so I'll do it this way. Ham bones in the pot...I foresee some ham and bean soup in my future. The kitchen is putting off a wonderful aroma right now!

20201118_185117.jpg

Reactions: xray and SmokinEdge
Looks like some real good eats Ryan.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks like some real good eats Ryan.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, I appreciate it! Good thing we did two, not being able to sample would not be good.

Ryan

Ryan they look awesome! I have a butt curing now for "pulled ham" ...requested by the family for Thanksgiving. But that ham and mac salad looks amaizing!! Now im hungry! Lol!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Those look fantastic . You'll love the phosphate injected ham . I just did two small ones .
Thank you! Looking forward to Dave's ham method. Always enjoy trying new methods...but the to do list is always growing!

Ryan

Ryan they look awesome! I have a butt curing now for "pulled ham" ...requested by the family for Thanksgiving. But that ham and mac salad looks amaizing!! Now im hungry! Lol!
Thanks Travis! Glad I could return the favor of making you hungry... alot of your posts do the same for me

Ryan

Those hams look mighty delicious Ryan! And definitely get a gravy from the ham drippings!! That is by far my favorite kind of gravy. I make a bunch and freeze every last drop!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Those hams look mighty delicious Ryan! And definitely get a gravy from the ham drippings!! That is by far my favorite kind of gravy. I make a bunch and freeze every last drop!
Thank you! Oh yes, definitely a go on the gravy!

Ryan

Those hams are bear bait for sure. I'm probably that for Thanksgiving as well. Nice job Ryan. Could you give us a more detailed amounts needed to make that ham and mac salad. It looks delicious. Is it a hot or cold salad?

Looks really good, nicely done!
Al
Thanks Al, I appreciate it!
Looks Great Ryan!!
Like.
When I saw the Title, I thought it was one of mine. (See the "Twins" below) from 2011.
Double Smoked Hams Times 4
Double Smoked Ham Twins
Double Smoked Ham

Bear
Thanks Bear, I appreciate it! Yes I definitely looked at those threads. That's when I bumped one of your other threads up...I didn't remember seeing it before...just can't remember which one it was now.

Thanks again for all your step by steps!
Ryan

Reactions: Bearcarver
Those hams are bear bait for sure. I'm probably that for Thanksgiving as well. Nice job Ryan. Could you give us a more detailed amounts needed to make that ham and mac salad. It looks delicious. Is it a hot or cold salad?
Thanks Steve! It's a cold salad

20201119_112924.jpg

For the salad dressing we use mayo...wife isn't a miracle whip fan. We're not celery fans so we omit that. She does add onion but would have to ask her how much. The noodles do soak up the sauce so normally have to add more after sitting or the next day. Kinda to your preference on how creamy you prefer. She added more sauce this morning and said she probably added too much, so if it doesn't get soaked up she'll add more noodles.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky