Turkeys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ultramag

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Garden City, MO
Smoked a couple 10 ½ lb. turkeys today. Used peach wood for flavor and RO lump.

Before, rubbed w/ olive oil, a little Sea salt, Tony C's, and fresh cracked pepper:

Done, skin was nice and crisp on these guys, very moist and juicy:

I made an awesome platter w/ wings, thighs, drumsticks, and sliced white breast meat. It turns out no one here was smart enough to get a pic of it though. I'm gonna have to dock the photographer's pay.
icon_wink.gif

looked pretty dang tasty chad....as I eye that peach tree in the back corner of my back yard....hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm smoker ain't big enough for two of those however.....
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
how is the kid doing?

Gorgeous birds. I am also interested in the secret to getting the crispy skin. I have tried but never been able to achieve it.

No secret on these, the direct heat really kept them from getting rubbery it seems. Other than that I did nothing special because I was just seeing where my starting point would be with this smoker. BTW, cooked @ 225°-240° for 4 hours.

The turkeys tasted very well Cheech. All four dinner participants had turkey sammies for lunch the day after.
icon_eek.gif
As for the peach, loved it. I put 5 butts over it today. Been a long time since I experimented w/ wood for pulled pork.
icon_wink.gif

The BDS is the crispy skin secret, direct heat. Boy, do they look good!

Same photographer (morel lover) who is taking pics of the location for the gathering?
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky